Chapter 1

It was early September. The air carried with it a signature of change. Cooler weather was settling in as the fragrance of leaves bearing distinct hues of red and orange passed by the open door of the Boeing 777.

"Benvenuti in Italia! Enjoy your stay!" addressed the flight attendant as the passengers stepped off the plane and onto the deck stairs.

Victoria loved the fall. It was magical. It was mysterious. This trip held what she hoped would be an adventure from her regular routine.

But it wasn't a thought to indulge in, for today was the first day of her late summer vacation and she had much to do. She needed to check in at her hotel and then promptly assess the nearby attractions and guest services.

But most of all, she came to Pisa to acquaint herself with the rich history and architecture that Italy had to offer. Victoria took a deep breath of the autumn Italian air and exhaled. She was eager to stretch her legs after a cramped eight hour flight.

Victoria was tall and gorgeous, witty and adaptable. But most of all, she was a master of professionalism. Over the years she had worked with large companies, coaching her client base on how to grasp fundamental concepts in efficiency, productivity, and goal achievement. She had worked with both small organizations and million dollar companies. Her finely honed intellect led her to find attainable solutions for clients big and small by using techniques in analysis and calculative methodology.

But it was time for Victoria to take a break from her work and explore the one thing she has never been able to master...the path leading to her destiny.

The short ride into Pisa was filled with lots to see. Victoria noticed the distinct charm of Italy's carved stonework and cobbled roads, lined with locals sitting in outdoor cafes. Life appeared more relaxed in Italy compared to the maladroit bustle of her home in the west. Upon her arrival at the hotel, she tipped the cabby and attendant for bringing her cases to the lobby and checked in.

"Welcome, Ms. Lafelle," greeted the desk clerk.

"Your room is ready. Should you have any questions, please let us know. Enjoy your stay."

The clerk handed Victoria the key card to her fifth floor suite and tapped the service bell for a porter to gather her luggage. Upon exiting the elevator, the porter led her to her room at the end of the hall.

"Buona giornata," bid the porter as he pocketed his gratuity and disappeared down the hall.

Room 508 was modest yet cozy. Victoria loved the intricately trimmed white walls and sloped ceiling leading to a small balcony draped in soft linens.

She tossed her cell phone and key card on the twin sized bed and walked over to the balcony. Opening the door, she was met with the lively rumble of Vespas and chatter of cafe patrons not far away.

Victoria had arrived in Italy. For the next seven days she was going to seek refuge in its old world charm. But not tonight. She readied the pillows, changed into her pajamas and cuddled in bed for a much needed night's sleep.

Victoria woke well rested for her first morning in Italy. After gathering her comfortable hiking shoes and putting her hair in a ponytail, she donned her favorite jeans and a light sweater. She then headed to the lobby to ask the desk clerk for breakfast ideas.

He mentioned a fabulous bakery a block south of the hotel where she could enjoy an authentic morning meal. She thanked him and strode down the walkway to Forno del Sole where the smell of fresh baked bread greeted her at the door.