Chapter 8

The sun cast its warm light through Mateo's bedroom window the next morning, falling upon Victoria's face and waking her from a wonderfully sound sleep.

She got up and noticed Mateo was gone. She made her way over to the balcony to see if he was there. He was not in the vicinity.

Victoria took the opportunity to pause for a moment and look out at the vineyards behind Mateo's home. They continued far into the distance. To the left was a pasture from a nearby farm. On the far right was a large field which glistened with sun charged moisture on its foliage.

With eyes closed, Victoria took in breath after deep breath, ingesting the soothing aromas of dew touched grass and the various herbs and flowers in Giulio's garden.

This place brought a sense of calmness and peace to Victoria. It was as if time had paused and it was her chance to reconnect with her surroundings and behold nature. It actually humbled her. For all that she had accomplished in the hustle and bustle of the western world, this place reminded her that a slower paced life could prove healthier and perhaps, happier to one's state of mind and well being.

She headed down the stairs to find Mateo in the kitchen. He was preparing her a traditional Spanish breakfast.

"Good morning," he greeted. He had a warm smile on his face.

Victoria hugged him from behind and kissed his cheek before sitting down.

Mateo placed two meals on the table, accompanied by two steaming mugs.

"This is cafe con leche. It's espresso with frothed milk. And these are called churros. Its fried dough, like a donut, and sprinkled with sugar." He reached over and placed a plate of fresh cut strawberries and pineapple in front of them for dessert.

While they ate, the room was filled with quaint chatter. They discussed everything from their families to their insights on morality and politics.

Once the last strawberry was consumed, Victoria got up from her chair and with coffee in hand; she looked around the room, examining the interesting artwork on the walls.

Victoria was feeling giddy. She looked back at the beautiful man behind her and joked, "I can't believe a guy like you is so accomplished."

An uneasy silence grew in the room.

"What do you mean a guy like me?" Mateo asked quietly.

Victoria was taken aback. "Well, I mean for a guy who didn't go to university, you have certainly found happiness and success in your life."

Mateo pushed his chair away from the table and folded his arms across his chest. His gaze was completely focused on the woman across the room, but not with the affection of a moment earlier.

"You find a problem with how I live my life? You think that because I don't have a college degree, that it was impossible to discover and use my strengths? Find success?" he continued to ask in a calm voice.

Victoria could feel her cheeks redden. "Well, I was just saying that I don't know how someone with so little formal schooling can find work and sustain himself in such a tough world today. No offense." She tried to laugh, but it only betrayed her nervousness.

Mateo just stared at her. It was slowly donning on Victoria that her comment had done more damage then she realized. Feeling defiant, she returned his look with equal measure. She completely didn't understand how what she had said put him on edge. She had given him a compliment as far as she was concerned.