Chapter 4- He Forgot Paper

After dinner I hid in my room to finish my homework in silence. My mind was tired and my fingers felt raw from writing.

I stifled a yawn as I put away my books and changed into sweatpants and my hoodie.

My fingers slipped through my hair, untangling the braid and watching as my hair folded out and cascaded into waves.

I jumped on to my high bed and slid underneath the covers. The howling autumn wind pounded against my balcony doors.

I rolled over and reached to turn off my lamp.

The light vanished from the room and silence crept in. I fixed my eyes on the dying embers of the fireplace and listened to the wind.

I finally closed my eyes, relaxed my mind, and fell into a heavy sleep.

___________________________

I awoke by someone tapping lightly on my shoulder. I peeked one eye open to see Rose, my personal maid, trying to awaken me.

" Good morning Miss how are you?" She said with a hint of glee.

" Fine, thank you." I mumbled in response.

I stretched and yawned as Rose prepared my uniform for me. Stumbling to the bathroom, Rose said, " Sylvia made you breakfast and packed your lunch."

I stretches my arms towards the ceiling and said sleepily, " I could have made my lunch."

Rose waved her hand, " No, no. Sylvia offered today." I nodded obediently.

I slapped moisturizer on my dry and poised face. Rose combed my hair and rubbed moose through it to make it smooth and silky.

Once I pulled my uniform on and looked showable, I dragged my feet towards the humungous kitchen where Sylvia had left a plate of breakfast under a heat lamp. Next to it, packaged neatly, was my lunch.

Surprisingly, my father was sitting at the table scanning loose papers and writing furiously.

He caught me staring and smiled, " Good morning honey."

I nodded and sat down awkwardly, picking at my scrambled eggs with my fork. My parents strongly prohibited playing with our food but as a matter of fact I did not care at that moment.

It was always an uncomfortable atmosphere when my father was here. At least for me, anyways. Im not sure why. Maybe because I was hiding my whole life from him? Im not sure.

After his plate was scraped clean, my father left the table and went up the stairs. My shoulders slumped a little, relieved to pick at my food in peace.

Once I was quite sure the eggs had been picked to death by my fork, I slid the plate away from me and grabbed my lunch Sylvia had left.

Rose handed me my black backpack and ushered me towards the open front doors where my chauffeur, Marcus Telfor, was waiting for me by the car.

Marcus opened the side door of the black Mercedes with a strong tug. I slipped by him and slid across the leather seats.

He closed my door and made his way towards the drivers seat. With a turn of the key the car roared to life and I began my usual stare out the window, losing myself in the world of my own.

As we passed the opening gates, I remembered asking my mother if I could drive myself to school on my own. She denied my request.

My eyes became heavy and I soon treated myself to a short nap.

___________________________