Chapter Twelve

I slept like a baby for most of the night, twice I had to shove Kemo over, but other than that, I had a really good sleep. Kemo loves to touch and during the night, twice, he had his big head on my belly and chest. I felt like I was being crushed by a python. I’m sure his head weights a good twenty-five pounds.

I got up at eight and couldn’t believe that I had slept over six hours, to me, that’s almost two days sleep. Kemo stayed by my side, I changed into a tracksuit and talked to him about taking a jog after breakfast.

When I walked into the kitchen, Ryan was leaning against the counter with a mug in hand. “Good morning,” I said with a bright smile.

He nodded. “Did you sleep well?”

“I did, where’s Father?”

“He is on the front porch, talking with his newest friend.” I nodded and started towards the porch. “Where are you going?” Ryan grumbled.

“To say good morning,” I replied over my shoulder.

“Kemo, go with her,” he ordered.

I stopped and stared at Ryan. Ryan is always friendly and kind. “What’s wrong?”

He gave a fake smile and shook his head. “Nothing, I’m just worried. Some of the people Kenneth had met with; they are not exactly the most trustworthy. Please take Kemo with you.”

I smiled and nodded. I understood what Ryan was saying, especially after talking with Master Yates. He said that humans can’t tell what I am, but with real vampires, something warns the human, they don’t know why they feel uncomfortable, they just know that they do. I patted my leg and called Kemo to my side.

Kemo began growling the moment we were at the door. I knelt down and cupped his large head. "What's the matter with you? Father said that you liked vampires," I whispered.  Kemo's eyes kept shifting to the door and back to me, he snarled a deep, low, threatening snarl. I stood up and debated on taking him with me. Normally I can control him, but the sounds he was making were unusual, and it worried me. Father said that Kemo was special; Kemo would be killed if he tried anything with a Master. I couldn't take that risk, so I made Kemo wait. I figured I’d explain it all to Ryan another time. Ryan's not one to hold a grudge, and I knew he’d understand once I explained everything.

I tapped on the door and then stepped out. Both Father and Master Yates stood right away; my father rushed over and hugged me. “Good morning dear, it was a pleasant surprise to see that you were home. Where is your car?”

“Brad drove me,” I said while hugging him back. I kissed his cheek and then asked, “Did you invite Master Yates in for breakfast?”

“I lost my zest for food centuries ago,” Master Yates replied. “And please, when we are not in council, call me Aaron.”

“Why are you here?” I asked. It didn’t sound rude, so I didn’t correct myself.

“I received notice that your friends delivered some interesting news last, and that you arrived home earlier than expected. I was hoping that we could start our lessons today. That is… if you are willing… this way you won’t miss as much time with your Father and you can go home without missing too much work.”

My father clapped his hands together. “This is wonderful news; Ryan is taking me to the cardiologist since Mable is no longer with us, now I won’t have to argue with you.”

“What do you mean Mable’s no longer with us?” I grumbled, “And when did she leave?”

“I fired her on Monday, don’t worry dear, I was fair when I released her.”