Chapter 6: Cab drive to Insanity

***Thank you to all who have commented and voted, I've had a few hectic weeks so i'm finally getting back into writing. *****

“Mom? Hey it’s Avery…look, I was wondering if it’s be okay if I stay at Stefani’s for the next few days. I need to clear my head and home will feel,” I stopped myself, I was going to say ‘different with out Tracy’ but I knew mom would have started sobbing so I veered the conversation. “Well, anyways I was just wondering. We could go to her church tomorrow and then hang out until Tuesday. Elmer said he could drive us to the water park or the beach.” After waiting a few seconds I added “at least we’ll be out of you hair for a while. Plus I need some time to clear my head.”

My mom responded unsure, but by the end she was convinced. “Fine, but call every morning. It’s not like there are people after us or anything, but still stay safe.”

 With her last comment I felt a wave of guilt for not telling her everything, I almost spilled all the information but I decided not to what if those men get involved?....oh no! The call – I was supposed to get a call!

“Mom? Did anyone call for me?”

“Well, a strange man called earlier but—“

“Don’t worry, he’s just Stefani’s uncle. You see we’re planning a surprise party for her since she hates school and all…” I couldn’t help thinking to myself ‘this is so lame!’ But she bought it.

“He sounded disappointed when I mentioned you left with out him. I told him you were headed out but that’s it.”

“Mom? Well, I gotta go. We’ll meet up with her uncle so don’t worry, bye.” I quickly cut off our conversation, my mom was so dead.

     When I told Mac about the phone conversation, and the phone call I missed he just shoved it off, his cocky attitude helped calm my nervousness…still…

We got in a cab and Mac gave the driver an address I didn’t quite catch, but he said we’d be there in two hours. I looked wearily at Stefani, giving her a look that said ‘we don’t have money for that ride.’ But she nodded her head and pointed to my duffel bag. I unzipped it and found rolls and rolls of ten dollar bills, most likely from her unspent allowances since before she was born. I put about three hundred dollars in my backpack when she wasn’t looking, for emergency purposes, and put my pajamas in the duffle, since I couldn’t spare the room.

After about ten minutes of driving in the middle of nowhere, Stefani fell asleep, and Mac leaned his seat back so he was almost squishing her, so he could talk with me.

“About the other night,” I started.

“Nope, don’t worry I erased it from my memory.”

“It was that bad?”

“Heh, everyone everywhere thinks you’re a nut now.”

“You too?”

“Well, I couldn’t leave you vulnerable now could I.?”

I looked at him and smiled. “Thanks.”

We stayed quite through the next town until I finally asked Mac about his plans, and where he got the lead for the town.

“Me? Well I’ve got connections, but I think keeping you on suspense will help get your brain working.”

Inwardly, I rolled my eyes and mentally slapped him. But on the outside I gave my I’m-playing-along-with-you smiles.

“I’m not that bad.” I mumbled before another league of silence. Because all I got for a response was a row of laughter, at that moment I finally gave into the fact that he was my best friend, and he wasn’t going anywhere. For better or for worse.

Hopefully for the better, but knowing me it’ll be for the worse. I mildly told myself, lets hit the ground running.