Chapter 10: Cars and Crazy Creeps

****got forty reads in one day, thanks so much. Not many people have been following this story since the beginning, but to those who have thank you so much! ***************

“Stefani, what’s wrong?” I asked, trying to sound calm and level headed.

“What’s wrong? What’s wrong? I think you know. Mr. Tacky Hawaiian guy just sped by in his car and it freaked me out.” She glared at me, “Seriously? Was that little ‘love chat’ worth your best friend being scared to death?”

Mac looked at me, I sighed, there was no way this could keep getting worse. Everything I said and did ruined my friendships. I decided to scatter the subject, changing it back to the incident.

“Stefani, just tell me what happened…please?” I tried to give her my infamous puppy dog face but she just stared at me and laughed. And laughed. And laughed.

“Ok, it wasn’t actually that bad.” She said looking a little better then before, “Yeah he came by but he didn’t know who I was. He cursed and then spun away. It really wasn’t anything bad.”

Mac turned into a detective again, “What car was he riding in, did you notice anything weird about him?” He gave her a soft smile, I bet he’d give me a smile of comfort if I told him about the call…but no, I couldn’t steal the attention of a clue.

Stefani answered, “Well, he seemed to have his main focus on the first few rooms, like he was looking for someone. And the car? Well, I’m not really educated when it comes to the brands and models but it was a black van…like what you see in the movies. That’s it.”

I took my backpack off and unzipped it to reveal my clue journal. I jotted down the spark note version of her response, even though it was already pretty short.

“We need to grab some breakfast, there might be some prepackaged food at the gas station. I have a feeling we need to bring everything though, just in case…” He didn’t finish the sentence for Stefani’s case, because talk of a break in might actually freak her out.

“You never know, we might decide to hit the road soon.” I threw a suggestion out there.

“Are you serious? We can’t just… I mean you have a better lead, right?” Mac asked me slowly.

“Hmm,” I thought in a mocking tone, answering sarcastically, “I contacted the bad guys, told them we’d trade and that we’d meet them in the sewer.”

Mac looked at me with a crazy, suspicious look. “C’mon, I’m starved.” He bluntly cut off the conversation.

               *****************************

     We found a small diner that served breakfast, which beat anything pre-wrapped we’d find at a gas station. We stuffed ourselves with hash browns and homemade orange juice. When we were waiting for the bill, I casually tested out my suspicions. “So Justin, what’s the plan now?”

     Stefani was about to interrupt and correct me when I kicked her under the table, which resulted in a muffled cry of pain. She knew I was up to something and waited it out.

     “Well,” Mac responded, “I was thinking about returning back to the ice cream shop. Maybe we could grab our bags—I wouldn’t mind grabbing one of my plugs for the laptop I stupidly forgot. Then? Well, I guess we’ll see where it leads.”

     I gave him a look, with one eyebrow raised. He didn’t seem to notice. After a minute of silence Stefani gave me a puzzled look. I decided to text her before she asked aloud.

‘Just wanted to see if he actually paid attention to my words’, I gave another lame, deceptive answer to my best friend.

     She replied ‘next time let me help. I’ll make him feel bad :)’ I smiled as I read her text and felt even worse for hiding behind her back.

     Mac looked at us suspiciously, his eyebrows arching as he shot us a mischievous grin, “Two against one? Not fair!” after neither of us gave a reply he spoke “you guys are gaining up on me, right?”

     We laughed together, making a playful noise as the waitress gave us the receipt. Stefani texted me as he was grabbing the change ‘If only he knew how ignorant he was’. I started to text her ‘he’s not the only one” but then I caught myself, texting ‘haha we’ll get him yet.’

     As we walked out of the old fashioned diner I groaned inwardly, what a jerk, what happened to living out your faith? I battled with myself inwardly as we headed to the sewers, unaware of them—the ones watching us.