Chapter 9: Secrets and Suggestions

Dedicated to AquaFay for keeping up with my story and posting comments that make me smile :)

******Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Like, fan, vote, whatever... I want to know if you're actually liking it or if i need to change things. Anyways, thanks and keep reading :) *******

     Mac, Stefani and I walked for what seemed like hours to the end of the creepy street where we found a junky motel. The lobby –if that’s what you call a small room with a couch and a creaky wooden desk—smelled like cheep cleaner and mud. There was a pile of red hair on the desk, where a young lady was sleeping, sprawled over the entire tabletop. We walked over to the desk and gently woke the women sleeping on her watch.

    “Whu—oh, oh, terribly sorry. Don’t tell my boss, I really need this job.” She sleepily said in a soft voice, “Why hello there, would you like a room for the night?” We nodded as she carried on, “Here are your keys, one goes to your room, the other is to the bathrooms. They’re located behind the building.”

     The motel employee continued to give us information about “rules” and checkout times, but all I focused on was the strange feeling that I’d seen her somewhere before.

Her face was familiar but after a few minutes I decided I was imagining things.

     We bought one room, we decided they would be safety in numbers, and headed for our room. I know it wasn’t intentional, but for some reason we got the room farthest from the lobby, which was out of the ring of light. Mac unlocked the door and headed in the dark threshold.

     The first thing I noticed was the smell—what died, came to life, and died again? Not only was the smell terrible, the “bed and couch” that was promised turned out to be a mattress on the floor, and a small cousin in the corner. There was no bathroom—not even a sink, and the only light was a small lamp in the corner.

   “Who wants to go back to the sewer?” Stefani asked annoyed, she didn’t seem in the mood for ‘roughing it’.

     “I’d join you, but I’m too tired to walk back just to sleep with some rats, at least there aren’t any here.”

   As if on cue, a scratching sound came from behind the ugly, green walls. Stefani screamed, Mac laughed and I jumped onto the bad like a scaredy-cat.

     “Looks like Stefani’s not the only one afraid of rats.” Mac teased, “Don’t worry, we won’t spill.”

   We decided to skip the showers, since it was practically morning and the thought of a community bathroom the quality of the room intimidated us. Stefani and I ran to the bathroom, brushed our teeth and ran back to the room.

     Yes, run. It’s three in the morning, you’re in a dark, scary town, you’ve already been attacked by a rat and your sisters is nowhere to be found” I tried to justify my level of being paranoid.

    When we got back into the room, Mac was already asleep on the floor, he left the cushion and bed for Stefani and I.

     “Always the gentlemen” Stefani starts.

     “Good night.” I cut her off before she says anything else to make her sound like the “matchmaker”.

     I close my eyes as I curl on the cushion and think about Tracy, wondering if it was all a dream or if it was as real as the scratching of the rats in the walls.

·      * * * * * *

·       

When we woke up the sun was already up and awake for the day. Mac had been up for a while, he looked dressed and ready. Somehow, his bag held his laptop in addition to several other electronics, but I couldn’t see how many because of the poor lighting in the room.