Chapter Five: Old Habits Die Hard

I was having a dream that I couldn't remember. I just remembered feeling happy and then someone was shaking me. I knocked their hand off of my shoulder and settled back down into my seat. I was almost asleep again when the shaking came again. I pulled my eyes open and flinched away from the dark haired, brown eyes stewardess who was only inches away from my face. She looked a little worried and my mind instantly jumped to Pansy. I was obsessed with the guitar, okay? I swung my hand and my pounding heart slowed once I felt her still positioned in the seat just as I had left her. I looked back at the stewardess and she looked relieved that I was finally awake. I looked out of the window and saw that the plane was mostly empty and we were parked at the terminal. I looked down at my body and felt odd. I was wrapped in a dark blue blanket and now that I thought about it, I could feel an uncomfortable pillow underneath my head. I looked at the stewardess in confusion while she just smiled and laughed, "You were asleep for a long time. I figured it'd be a little more comfortable with a pillow and blanket." She shrugged innocently before helping me pull my things out from the top compartment. I unbuckled the seatbelt that had been wrapped around my waist the entire time and stood up. I stretched my legs out and groaned when my knees popped. It was certainly an unpleasant feeling.

I shouldered all of my things and thanked the stewardess kindly. She helped me carry a few things off of the plane before she smiled, handed it over, and waved goodbye. I rubbed my eyes with my only free hand and cursed myself inwardly when I remembered my eyeliner. It was probably smudged and smeared all down my face by now. I groaned loudly and received a few odd looks from the people around me. I just raised my eyebrows questioningly and they quickly looked away. I wasn't here for their amusement. I searched for the exit and started heading towards it when someone waving their arms frantically in my direction caught my attention. I swerved around and laughed when I saw Bob holding a miniature sign that said my name. Ray was waving his hands in the air like a crazy person and he was beaming like a clown. Bob seemed jaded and put the embarrassing sign down. I wobbled over to them and Ray pulled me into a giant hug that crushed my insides. I dropped a lot of my things and Ray let go to help shoulder a few items while I ran over and tackled Bob for all I was worth. Bob let out a surprised laugh and he wrapped his arms around me briefly. He lifted me into the air before setting me back down. I knew just from that gesture that he had missed me. I handed a few of my things to Bob and grabbed a few for myself.

"Damn, I'm so happy to see the two of you!" Ray and I were talking nonstop while Bob just grunted and laughed at us. He wasn't the one for making scenes in public. He was more of a behind the scenes type of guy and I didn't blame him. I knew once we got into the car he'd open up and start talking again. We loaded my bags into the trunk while I climbed into the backseat. Bob and Ray kissed lightly once before Bob walked around the car to get in on the driver's side. Ray climbed in passenger seat.

"Frank, damn, I'm so glad to see you. How long has it been? I'm still looking forward to kicking your ass in Mario Kart." Bob was laughing warmly and Ray smiled adoring at his boyfriend.

"Yeah right, Bob. I always kick your ass and Toro's, too. Face it, I'm the champion who forgot his PlayStation in Jersey with a couple of losers." I was laughing and feeling right at home already. It was like nothing had changed between us. It was like we were still in high school. We still fought over the same things and Mario Kart never changed. I missed these two so much.

"Well, you did leave your PlayStation for a few months. You're certainly out of practice while Bob and I frequently go over to your house and play it. I've got to say that we've gotten much better, you giant spray tan." Ray beamed at his own joke while I just rolled my eyes.

"How long have you been sitting on that joke, Toro?" Ray scowled while Bob covered his laughter with a cough. The rest of the car ride passed by with corny jokes and mild verbal abuse. I couldn't help but realize how much I had missed it all. It was like a deep longing feeling. It felt like I had stolen a kid's ice-cream cone and thrown it on the ground in front of them or gave a kid a balloon just to pop it with a tack except I was the kid it was being done to. I tried to shake away the feeling while listening to Ray and Bob sing really loudly to the radio.