Love is in the Water: Finding Us.

Haru’s body moved with the water as if he was apart of the waves. When he surfaced his stoic eyes met with mine. I wish I could make you smile again, Haru. I expected him to turn away but his eyes lingered on mine for a little longer than usual. I flashed him a toothy smile and for a brief second I thought his mouth crooked upward but, it must have been my mind twisting things the way I wanted see them.

“Mako-chan! Haru-chan!”

Nagisa’s high voice interrupted my thoughts.

“You’re early.”

I smiled up at him.

“I saw Rin running past my house today! He must be building stamina also!”   

Haru’s eyes shot up when he heard Rin’s name. I couldn’t help it but my eyes fell sadly. Nagisa’s hand startled me when he rested it on my shoulder.

“Mako-chan are you okay?”

Haru’s eyes moved to me again.

“I’m fine. I feel a little sick today though.”

His eyes popped open.

“You shouldn’t be swimming then Mako-chan!”

“It’s alright I’m well enough to swim.”

I could feel Haru’s eyes burning a hole into me. When Rei walked in Nagisa nearly tackled him to the floor.

“What are you doing?!”

Nagisa wrapped his arms around Rei’s waist.

“Rei-chan! Don’t be so cold!”

Rei’s face turned a bright red. A small giggle escaped my lips. They seem to be getting along well. Haru jumped out of the water and sat next to me on the ledge of the pool. The sun was shining brightly and the trees moved with the wind. I opened my eyes completely and waited until they adjusted to the incandescent rays.

“What a beautiful day out.”

Haru just stared into the pool.

Ever since Rin has returned Haru hasn’t been himself. Whenever he hears his name he immediately pays attention. He’s also been coming to my house less. It’s been 3 months since Rin came back and, I feel like the bond between Haru and I has been coming undone. I don’t know how to fix it. Haru is slowly escaping me. I don’t know if he’s been doing it on purpose but whatever it is I want to.... No.. I need to fix it.

I skimmed the water with my toes and took a deep breath of the late summer air. Practice felt like it took forever. Gou came up with new swimming formations for us to test out. Most of it was stamina training though. I followed Rei and Nagisa to the locker room. Haru is going to swim until late again. I’ll wait for him and then talk to him. Before shutting the locker room door I snuck a peek at Haru. He was still swimming laps. The locker room was steamy because Rei and Nagisa must have started a shower.

“Rei come on!”

I heard Nagisa beg. Silence fell as I slipped out of my swimming suit. I got closer to the shower area and gasped at what I saw. Nagisa and Rei were kissing. They’re a lot closer than I thought. I remember when Haru and I..... Rei pushed Nagisa away from him.

“Idiot! Makoto and Haru will be in here any minute.”

Nagisa kissed him again.

“They won’t mind. I promise! When we were little I saw them kiss a couple times.”

Nagisa cupped Rei’s chin with his hand and kissed him gently. Haru... My heart started to ache. I walked slowly to my locker and took out my dry clothes. As I got dressed my mind kept filling with more and more thoughts. I heard the door open and close behind me. Soft footsteps reached behind me then stopped. I quickly threw my shirt on.