Chapter 1

I walked outside of the house I lived in. I, at 16, lived completely on my own. My dad paid for everything, but he lives with his new family now. My mom died when I was 12, a year after my father left us. I walked on the sidewalk, past the woods on my way to school. I was wearing an oversized hoodie, a crop top, and high wasted black shorts. All of the sudden, a hand reached out of the woods and pulled me in by the hood. I screamed, and a hand flew over my mouth. I looked up and saw Cameron Dallas and Shawn Mendes. I elbowed Cam, who was holding me, hard in the gut. Shawn quickly grabbed me, carrying me to the middle of the woods.
"You'll earn an extra beating for that act, you ugly fatass." Suddenly, Jack Gilinsky, Nash Grier, Jack Johnson, and Taylor Caniff surrounded me. They all took turns beating me, all except Jack G. He just watched. They left me there. I waited for them to leave, and then I got up and ran to school. During lunch, I was sitting alone at a table when a girl approached me.
"Hey! Come to my birthday party tonight! Anybody who's anybody is gonna be there!" I thought it over. Maybe I could make some new friends. The school day dragged on, and I took the long path to my house to avoid the boys. I cleaned up at home and walked to the party. When I got there, I was greeted by loud noises, the smell of alcohol and drugs, and screaming. I went upstairs into a lounge room.
"Hi! I'm Sara!" I was greeted by a tall girl. She had long brown hair and familiar icy blue eyes.
"Hi Sara. I'm Mae." I said with a sigh.
"Not much into the party scene?" I shook my head and she sat down next to me. We talked for hours.
"Hey, I'm going to the beach tomorrow. Do you want to come too?" She said with a smile.
"Sure. Sounds like fun." I returned a smile. "Alright, I'll pick you up at 10." She got up and left. I walked downstairs, grabbed my jacket, and walked out the door. I walked back to my house, smiling.