Briars of the Mind- Part 1

A gust of wind blew and interrupted my reverie. It was the autumn of 2010, and I was alone in a deserted cafe, my mind hungrier for memories than my stomach was for food. Every afternoon, in this same spot, I strive to remember everything that had happened in my life, since my memory's already failing me time and again... yet there are those moments that one cannot easily forget, for they were ingrained in the heart, and not in the mind. The brain may forget, but the heart remembers.

One such memory is of the man I've met some half a century ago. Yes, I'm quite old, but I remember him as clearly as if it were yesterday. What I remember most were his eyes; those fathomless, chestnut eyes that can see right through your very soul. The same eyes of the man who still holds my heart…  but does not know it.

One second I was sitting as an old woman in the corner of a cafe, and the next thing I knew, I was 21 years old again, back in my friend's wedding reception some 50 years ago, reliving the day I've met Rhys Hurley.

                                                                        -0-

It was my bestfriend Kara's wedding reception, and I was one of her bridesmaids. They say that birds of the same feather flock together, but Kara and I are as different as an eagle is to a dove; where Kara is flambuoyant, an extrovert in the very sense of the word, and an adventurer, I, on the other hand, am an introvert: too shy to try new things, a wallflower, too afraid to go out of my comfort zone.

As it was, the wedding after-party was raging, and I was sitting in a chair near the wall, oblivious of everybody, smiling when the need arises but wanting to get the hell out of there. I'm happy for my friend, truly, I am, but this party is just beneath me.

So, not wanting to put a damper on her special night, I decided to leave quietly. I was good at that because, frankly,  nobody notices me anyway. It's not just my washed-out look (pale blond hair partnered with pale, pale skin and green eyes), it's just...me.

I silently went out of the venue, and, forgetting for a moment that I rode with the bridal car earlier this evening, started to walk towards home. It isn't that far anyway, and with the neighborhood that we've got, it's bound to be safe. Plus, I especially like autumn evenings; the air is cool and crisp, but it doesn't have the bite of a winter breeze.

Not long after I started walking did I hear a sound from behind me. A shout. Somebody's shouting. I looked back but saw nobody there. I went on walking, but kept my guard on alert just to be careful.

Then I heard it again. An unmistakable, distant "Heeeyyy!!". I stopped to see who it was, and within seconds, I saw a guy in a dark tuxedo running towards me. A few more seconds of looking made me realize that this is not just any guy; it was the groom's bestman! I've looked at him once or twice during the ceremony, he's somewhat good-looking (or so they say)... but why in the name of hell is he here?

Maybe Kara was looking for me, and sent him to find me. So much for my discreet departure. When he finally caught up to me, panting and sweating profusely, I asked: "What are you doing here?"

"I...your handkerchief..found..your table." he panted.

I had no idea what he meant by that. "Are you always this incoherent?

He held up his hand to say wait, then after a minute, he straightened up and blew out heavily. Then he said: "As you can see a while ago, I was breathing particularly fierce because it was quite a workout running to catch up on you, just to give you this. I found it when you left so suddenly-- and rather stealthily, I might add."

He handed me something, and to my horror, it was my hanky! My lace hanky with my name Alisha embroidered on it. The very last thing my mother gave me as a gift before she died of cancer last year. I found myself suddenly tearing up. How could I leave it behind?

"Well, since I've accomplished my mission already, I better head back to.. are you walking out here all by yourself?" he asked, frowning.

"Yes."

"All alone?"

"Yes?"

"You have no one with you?"

I"Well, when one says he's alone, it is implied that nobody is with him, isn't it?" I replied.

With the road stretching on and on into darkness, and having only the moon to provide illumination, I had the courage to look into his face. He was smiling because of my snide remark, but something about that smile lit a spark inside me.

I thought forever began when I was born; Looking back to that instant, I realized how wrong I was all these years. My forever began when I looked straight into the chestnut eyes of this man. There and then, I knew I was lost.

He held out his hand, and said, "By the way, my name is Rhys Hurley. May I have the privilege of walking you home?"