iii. fuchsia

a daring love affair between red-pink and purple

BEE

"Are you sure about this?"

"Well, no, not exactly."

An indignant sigh.

"Just trust me." Because that had always gone well. "No, really this time. I know what I'm doing."

Colton sighed again, but this time I could see his isthatalmostaghostofa smile illuminate his face. He wasn't sleeping again, I could tell. The circles under his sooty-lashed blue eyes seemed to be etched even deeper, darker in his moonkissed skin.

I tugged the last string before grabbing his hand, pulling him behind me. Runrunrunrunrun.

Here. Stopping rather abruptly, I felt him bump into my back before he scowled slightly at me; could you give me a bit of a warning next time? His frown scolded.

"just watch." It would be any second now.

Suddenly a series of machine-gun pops filled the air, shaking the earth under our bare feet. We had brought back daylight in gunpowder fury.

The fireworks adorned the night sky in fleeting sparkles of brilliant colors. Booming laughter in jewels of split second rubies and fuchsias and golds and greens exploded fearlessly into the quiet suburban evening.

This was illegal, I knew. But when he pressed his mouth close to my ear and his lips tickled a barely audible thank you, I knew it was worth it.

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°

Walking home alone was the sweetest sadness.

3 a.m. silver stars shone down on the earth as trillions of luminous, all-seeing eyes and the rustling trees whispered secrets to each other and, like always, I didn't want our adventures to end. Colton whispered goodbye before climbing into his window in a smooth, experienced motion. He didn't look back.

I felt so happy/sad I thought my heart might burst again. Like I was a balloon filled with every single emotion in the world and I wanted to float and to explode so I could be free of the feeling, so I could feel it even more intensely.

I was a paradox of a girl.

Composed of so many infuriating contradictions, my body was miracle in that it managed to stay intact at all. I wouldn't have been surprised if finally, one day my DNA simply gave up, the opposing proteins unraveling the carefully wrought helixes that made me from my mother and father. Slowly, cell by cell, I would split in two.

It may have only been a matter of time.

Cracks in the pavement felt rough underneath my feet, but comfortingly familiar. After so many late night rendezvous, I could probably find my way home with my eyes closed. Instead, upon a sudden ridiculous revelation I gracefully extended both of my arms before turning to sprint as fast as I could toward home. Runrunrunrunrun.

It felt like flight and for a split second I looked up at the sky and s p u n and the eyes looked like they were crinkled in brilliant smiles and they were spinning too. We were all spinning and spinning and spinning in space and no one was really alone and it was utterly g l o r i o u s.