Prologue

My name is Ava Lynn. I am a wielder of the four elements - fire, water, earth and air/wind. That means that I can control them and harness these elements.

I was born normal. However, a freak accident changed my entire life. If you want to know how I earned these powers, here is my story.

I was 17, a teenager. My mother had divorced with my father when I was 10, leaving the care of my five siblings and I to my him. He became alcoholic and abusive, often coming back from work drunk. So, I frequently ditched home and went out to the park near my house to enjoy the scenery and get some fresh air.

One fine day, I was at the park when I met my old best friend from high school. We were extremely glad to meet each other and sat on a bench to chat. After some time, the sky became dark and it started raining. We both loved the rain and decided to stay where we were. Soon, the drizzle changed into a thunderstorm. Wind started howling and shook the trees violently. We were both drenched from head to toe. However, I was unwilling to part with her and return home, as I knew my father would be throwing a fit when he saw me drenched. My friend decided to leave. I adamantly stayed where I was since there were no shelters in the vicinity anyway. I got up and pranced in the rain and jumped from puddle to puddle, splashing around like a playful puppy. Anyone would think I was insane playing around in such a weather. But who cares? I love water and love being in it too.

But the weather took a turn for the worse. The rain was getting heavier and the thunderstorm much worse. I was deciding whether to leave or not when suddenly, something struck me from above. It practically electrocuted me. It was like being electrocuted by a tazer, only a million times worse. The pain was excruciating, spreading throughout my entire body within the blink of an eye. I stumbled back and lost my balance, falling onto the floor, unable to move. I couldn't breathe at all. My vision became like an old TV screen that lost its connection and I was beginning to see stars. My hearing became muffled and I could barely hear my own screams of terror and intense pain. It was a living nightmare.

It then dawned on me that I had been struck by lightning. I was going to die...Fading in and out of consciousness, I lay on the wet floor regretting for not moving during this terrible thunderstorm.

The last thing I heard before blacking out was deafening thunder.