Chapter 6-Starting New

I hadn't been in the alpha's office yet, and I suppose that was because it was off limits to everyone else. For good reason too. Behind the ridiculously large, messy desk and oddly organized book shelf, was, apparently, a hidden door. I guess you couldn't trap the love of your life in just any room, right? If you're going to do it, it should be in a windowless room that locks from the outside and every wall is five centimeter thick solid steel. Stupid.

"This room is soundproof," Well, isn't that just the cherry on top of the proverbial cake? "You'll have to make it look like you snuck in. don't be there long, just introduce yourself. Tell her you don't have much time to spare." I nodded along, half listening. I knew all this already. I wish i could tune him all the way out but alas, my brain would not let me.

He eventually showed me how to get into the room. A trick book in one of the back shelves. How creative.

Everyone else left the room and i took a second to take a few quick breaths and pinch my cheeks. No i really looked like i had been running. Perfect. I slipped in the door quickly and shut it behind me.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" I turned to see a girl, maybe a year or two older than me, sitting in the corner on the floor. It must be Kennedy. There was a chain linking her to the steel wall and the only color in the room was her mess of vibrant red hair. She wore a simple white dress and quite a bit of dirt, but nothing else.

This is how he treats her? No wonder she won't accept him.

"I don't know if you remember me. My name is Mia.I'm from your old pack. They hired me to come find you." At this she brightened up.

"I'm finally leaving? Thank you! I-"

"Woah, not quite yet. I need to get a solid plan in place and time it just right. I don't want to cause a war. I'm only here to tell you that my mate and I are here to help you." her face fell, but at least I didn't lie and tell her it would happen soon. I have to give her a chance to get to know me first. Let her open up and tell me if the alpha has a future with her.

"Has the Alpha treated you well, Kennedy?" I saw the look in her eyes, and that gave me the answer loud and clear.

"He's mean. All he does is yell at me. I get everything I ask for except what i really want."

"What is that?"

"For... for him to love me" I stood there shocked. I hadn't expected that. "I know it's wrong, but every time he grabs my wrist i feel sparks. I hate to disappoint him. I think I love him. I just..."

"You know when he's near you. You can just tell. No one else makes your hair stand up and your heart beat faster like he does. You can't stop thinking about him. He's your everything." I just started rambling. It took me a second to realize i had sid it, and another to realize i meant it. That's what a mate is. That's what love is. I love Mav.

It's about time!!!

Shut up, Maggie. Smug little wolf.

She didn't respond, just smiled internally.

"How did you know?"

"That's what a mate is."

"Thank you. Please get me out soon."

"Why do you want to leave if you love him?"

"Because he doesn't love me. I don't think he ever will." I nodded and pulled out my phone. Texting mav to let me out.

"My mate is coming to let me out. I'll get you free as soon as i can, okay?" I was out the door before she responded.

Once the door was closed again, i kissed Mav. he kissed me back then pulled away.

"Not that I'm complaining, because I'm not, but what was that for?"

"I'll tell you later." I winked and left the office. The alpha was sitting in the hallway just outside. "Alright, alpha, step into your office. We need to discuss some things in private." Mav growled but let me go. I sat in the alpha's chair, clearly telling him who was in charge here.

"Okay, first of all, no more chains. Let the girl get properly dressed. Give her a decent selection. Let her wash. The basics." he was nodding along, hanging on every word i was saying. Good. "Well I have good news and bad news. The bad news is she wants to leave, and it is your fault." He whimpered and sat in one of the other chairs with his face in his hands.

"What's the good news?"

"Answer me this. Do you love her?" He looked at me, obviously angry.

"What kind of question is that? She's my mate! Of course I do!"

"Wrong answer"

"What... what do you mean?"

"What do you know about her? What does she know about you? How have you treated her? What side of you has she seen? How dare you wonder why she is resisting?" I let him have a second to let it sink in. his abuse, her fear, his failure. "Show her a new side of you. The side that will cherish her. Treat her the way your luna deserves. Give her a proper room. This should be obvious."

"I'm sorry."

"You're saying it to the wrong person" with that i got up and left. I stood just outside the door and heard the secret door open. I smiled and went to my room. Mav was there waiting for me.

"Do i get my explanation now?"

"I've made my decision." to say he was shocked would be an understatement.

"And?"

"I want to revise the deal. I have recently that i can't leave you," his face lit right up at this. "...But I also won't stop tracking. My proposal is this. When this is all dealt with, you'll have to decide if you can come with me or not."

"I won't-"

"I know you won't reject me. But you need to decide if you can go around with me tracking or if you would rather stay at the pack territory." He nodded.

"So... does this mean you accept me?"

"Yes." I saw it happening before it did, but he still surprised me. Mav grabbed me quickly and kissed me.

"I love you, Mia." He dug his nose into my shoulder and we just sat there.

"I love you too."