Chapter 1.2

After three years since his mom's death, the pain is just as raw and he remembers everything with perfect clarity. But today is not the right time to wallow. Someone-his girlfriend, actually- was waiting for him downstairs to keep him company.

"Matagal ka pa ba?," came the voice from downstairs.

"Sandali na lang," he answered back, "give me 30 minutes, may tatapusin lang."

He sat down in front of his study table and looked down at the yet unfinished letter. Every year, on his mother's death anniversary, he writes her a letter. His is not much of a letter writer, to be honest. But for someone so special, he makes an exception.

He was halfway through the letter when his phone rang. He checks the screen to see who the caller was, presses the answer button, and talks to the event organizer who gave him the gig.

"Hello?"

"O, ano," came the voice from the other line, "on the way ka na ba? Ayokong ma-late ka ha at baka mapahiya tayo."

"Ay, opo. On the way na po, salamat. See you na lang po ha," was his earnest reply.

After he put down the phone, he folded the unfinished letter and placed it inside his back pocket.

"Ma, pasensya na ha, medyo male-late yung letter ko. Kelangan ko na umalis. Baka pag na-late ako, d na ako bigyan ng raket uli. Sayang naman yung kikitain ko dun, d ba?"

Although he was talking to no one in particular, he was fairly sure that his mom was listening.

He bounced through the stairs, slinging his backpack over his shoulders. Upon seeing Mika, his eyes lit up, "Tara na? Mahabang biyahe pa eh."

She stood up and met him at the foot of the stairs. "Hindi pa ako kumakain, ikaw ba?"

"Hindi rin. Dumaan na lang tayo sa kung saan mamaya."

The two went out of the house hand-in-hand and were soon on their way. Fortunately, there was very little traffic despite it being the weekend. After about two hours, Mika pointed to a McDonald's sign. "Gutom na ako, drive through na tayo para d sayang oras."

"Okay, boss. Sabi mo eh," he teased as he signaled his turn. There was a long line of vehicles at the drive thru window. At the last minute, he decided to just park and order inside.

"Wait ka lang dito, ako na papasok. Anong sa'yo? The usual?"

"Yes," came Mika's reply.

He started to walk away from the car but Mika called him so he stopped and turned to look at her.

"I love you, Richard."

He smiled and took his wallet out of his back pocket as he entered McDonald's, nearly colliding with a girl and her boyfriend who were on their way out.

He wanted to say sorry but they were walking away already, just the back of their heads in sight. He shrugged and entered the store.