Chapter #7

“He kissed me” I stated slowly.

“Did you like it?”

“I don’t know” I admitted.

“Just” Daniel paused, thinking. “Don’t tell Luke. He’ll kill Beau”

“Don’t tell me what?”

“It’s nothing” I answered quickly, just a little too quickly.

“You’re hiding something” Luke stepped closer to me, searching my eyes. “What is it?”

“It’s a secret” Daniel joined in.

“Rose” His tone spoke that he wasn’t in the mood for jokes. “I heard Beau’s name and my name being said out loud”

“He’s getting you something” Daniel covered for me.

“What’s he getting me?” Luke seemed more relaxed now.

“If we told you it wouldn’t be a secret” I teased.

“Phew!” Luke smiled. “I thought it was bad news like he had hit on you”

If my face showed any reaction to his last sentence, he thankfully didn’t notice. He knew me so well and if he had seen my face, he would know I was lying to him.

“He knows better than that” Daniel reassured him.

Luke looked back at me and held his arms out which I accepted with a guilty pang in my stomach. Not once, but twice now Beau had kissed me and I had done nothing about it. I hated not telling Luke about what he was doing but I didn’t want Beau to be in the shit. In some ways , I knew he deserved it but something inside stopped me from opening my mouth and spilling the beans.

“Do you want to come with me to buy some fish and chips for lunch from the shop about five minutes away? Luke asked.

“Sure” I nodded and dried myself down before pulling my white tee over my head and slipping my left hand into his right.

We walked down the hot grey footpath with a warm silence between us. No words needed to be spoken. I put my mind onto other things. Wondering how my daughter was doing on the other side of the world. Getting a tan. Doing more socializing with some new people. Surviving this world tour.

I had two boys fighting for my attention – my current boyfriend and my ex-boyfriend. If it was going to happen for the whole tour, I didn’t think I would handle them. It would become too much. It was bad enough with what was happening between the two brothers already.

“How much should we get?” Luke’s voice broke me out of my thoughts.

I looked at the large chalkboard with the white chalk scribbled over it.

“Five dollars chips and two fish for each of the boys?” I offered weakly.

“Seven dollars chips, 6 fish and three hamburgers” Luke ordered and handed the lady a few notes.

“Coming right up, shouldn’t be too long. Just wait around for five minutes and we’ll call your number” She instructed, handing me a small, thin square of paper with the letter seven written dead in the middle of it with black ink.

Luke spotted a playground which no one was playing on and suggested that while we waited for our meal , we should hang out on it.

He leaned in and I, thinking that he was going for a kiss closed my eyes and waited for his lips to land. Instead , he whispered into my ear. “I’ll race you”

I looked up at him smiling and pushed his chest then ran towards the swings. My hands pressed up against the hard wood that was holding the swing up and turned around to see Luke walking towards me, shaking his head and a grin on his face. In the distance I could see a boy on one of the taller sandbanks , watching. So far away yet I could see his expression. Mouth slightly open , eyes softened. His hands were pulling at his cotton grey singlet that clung loosely to his muscular body.