A Tail Of Two

A day so dark should seem threatening, but with all hope lost, a miracle is waiting.

     Ebony scurried back to the alley of the Genus Dilecti, her home.  She held onto the scrap of food she had managed to find in the shop just ahead of her home.  It might be enough to cure her and her brother's hunger for the day, but it was about to rain.  Then the day would be over.

    She saw her brother inside of the hole in the wall.  It wasn't special, but it was a home.  She knew she would have to scold Ivory, for he was ill and in need of rest.  She made sure to squeak loudly at him before she entered with the food.  Her brother followed squirming his way in to find a place at the spool.

     The two scraped down the small cracker, for it was all they had.  The cracker was filling, it still was only a crumb.  Ebony was quite happy with the find, and she found Ivory to be too.  It was soon night, it was time for bed.  Ebony knew what a hassle it would be to get Ivory to bed.  The young little mouse was as hyper as could be.  He'd gotten that from their mother.  Ebony on the other hand, got something from their father.  Courage.  As he always told her through her fears, "courage will always win".

     Ebony had almost drifted off, until the shake of the ground.  It rumbled with anger.  Desperate for release.  It shook the wall with a mass of force.  Beams broke and stones fell, almost crushing her, but with the speed of a mouse, anything was possible.  It was great for escaping things, like death.  She ran out of the wall, expecting Ivory to be outside already.  But he wasn't.  He was still inside.  Ebony rushed to the hole.  Desperate for her brother's life.  His chances of living were slipping by the second.  But time was out.  As soon as the poor little mouse reached the wall, it collapsed, taking a life with it.  Ebony was hit with despair, lost of all hope.  Nothing was left at all.

     Full of grief, Ebony retreated to the forest of Luctus.  It was dark and gloomy, just like her.  She hated the thing most close to her.  The Earth.  How could something so beautiful destroy her brother.  The only thing she had left.  Everything was gone.  And she knew it.

Next Chapter

     That night she slept in the hollow of a tree.  In the nest of which once  belonged to a squirrel.  It might not have been under the best of circumstances, but it was peaceful.  It was hard to get used to being all alone.  She liked having someone to talk to.

     The sun was hidden behind the clouds and a deep mist  crept through the trees.  A damp blanket covering all life came from the early rain.  Ebony climbed down the tree in agony, knowing she would have to come to her senses sooner or later.  She scurried peacefully down the riverbank, letting the splashes cool her burning body.  Crack.  Ebony jumped.  Ebony saw a creature jump.  She jumped in unison.  Ebony fell back into the waters edge, splashing into the creek.  She flopped like a fish out of water.  The current was pulling her away, even with all her might it was impossible not to float away.  As all hope lost, once again, Ebony felt a hand reach down and grab her.  It was a strong arm.  It was a life support.  The hand pulled her out of the stream.  Ebony sputtered and coughed out the inhaled water.

     "Thank you!"  Ebony sang in glory, for she was saved.  Ebony now saw her saviour in the light.  He was an old squirrel, with a kind smile.  He was old like an antique.

    "You are quite welcome."  He replied with a smile.  Ebony went to drying herself off, the elderly squirrel sat waiting patiently for her to abolish the act. 

     "What seems to be troubling you, my dear?"  The squirrel inquired, sitting down on a rock near the riverbed.  Ebony looked at him with sadness in her eyes.  She fought to keep the tears from flowing, but it was no use.