Ch. 12 Waking Up (Kieran's P.O.V.)

I awoke wrapped up in Callum’s tight embrace. The light of morning seeped through the window and pierced my eyelids. I peeled Callum’s warmth from me, immediately regretting the decision. I sat up and stretched, rubbing my aching back. I slowly got dressed, putting on all the clothes I owned. I crept away from Callum and peeked into the children’s room. They were all asleep huddled together. I closed the door and padded down the stairs. Delroy was awake and raised an eyebrow at me when I reached the bottom. “Surprised you can still walk.” Was all he said about the matter. A blush roared into my cheeks and I laughed.
                “Sorry about that, it was really disrespectful to come to your hideout and do that the first night.” I scratched the back of my head.
                “We all need a stress reliever every once in a while, Kieran.” Delroy smiled back at me. Phew, dodged a bullet there.
                “Thanks, Delroy.” I said.
                I walked over to mine and Callum’s backpack and got out some fruit and ravioli. I grabbed the spoons we had and ran back upstairs to find Callum dazed and awake. He immediately focused on me. I blushed and kicked him. “Get dressed Callum; we have the day ahead of us.” I said as I handed him the cans.
                 He set them aside and grabbed mine, setting them aside too. He pulled me into a hug. “Kieran, this is our first day together that we can be carefree and lounge around. We aren’t in any immediate danger here; we are finally secure for the time being.” He kissed my neck that lay by his mouth. I melted into his warmth.
                “Callum…” I murmured.
                I felt a little tug on my shirt. “Uncle Kieran, why are you hugging uncle Callum like that?” A.J. said in an adorable sleeping voice rubbing his eyes.
                “What?” I looked down and realized I had my arms and legs wrapped around him. I shot up and quickly spat out “No reason! I was just trying to get him to get out of bed!” I laughed anxiously as A.J. stared up at me.
                He laughed. “Uncle Kieran’s funny.” He walked off. I heard Callum chuckle behind me.
                “Oh shut up.” I muttered.
                “He’s eight. He isn’t going to know the difference between gay and straight. He doesn’t even know what sex is Kieran.” He laughed at me again.
                I turned around and kicked him through the blanket. He laughed again. I started walking away. “Callum, get dressed and grab your stuff, we gotta go find food for these kids, there is no way we have enough.”
                He sighed. “Alright, be down in a minute.”
                I left Callum and padded back down the stairs. Delroy was showing A.J. how to work a pistol. I walked up to him, examining them. He was turning the gun in his grasp, pointing and explaining each feature. “Don’t you think he is a little young?” I butted in.
                Delroy paused and looked up at me to answer. “Today, they need to know how if they want to have a chance at survival.”
                “Yeah, but let’s hope it never comes to that point.” I nodded for them to continue and walked to the door, opening it to step out on the sidewalk. In the street lay a pile of ashes and a smaller pile some five feet away from it. I grabbed my arm, shivering from the wind that had picked up since last night. God, Idaho weather. I stepped out into the street, looking down both ways to see if I could find a grocer. Some ways down the street there was a Cheap Mart. I went back inside, grabbing my pack. Callum came down the stairs and held the machete in front of him, beckoning me to take it. I grabbed it and gave him a questioning look. He pulled out his crossbow.
                “I think I’m covered and I don’t want you getting hurt. Take it for precautionary measures.” He nodded.
                “Alright, I get it. Feels nice having it on my side. By the way, how do you…” Callum came over and took off his make shift holster, strapping it on my side and tugging me closer ever so slightly. My cheeks flushed as he had control of my hips. His musky scent drifted onto me and I felt my eye lids getting heavier. Then suddenly he gave the strap one last tug, and then broke the contact. I shook my head. “Thanks.” I said and turned around so he couldn’t see traces of my reaction to him. I cleared my throat. “Yo Delroy, we are going down the street to the old mart to get food for the children. We’ll be back soon.”
                “Yeah, just be careful. Be back soon.” He called back. I nodded to Callum and we started down the street. We saw Delroy lock the door behind us and stare at us through the window. I nodded to him, he nodded back then left the window. I gazed ahead at the empty street, suddenly feeling like I was in a war zone.