Ch. 18 Breaking Out (Callum's P.O.V.)

I clenched and unclenched my fists at my side while I saw Kieran look back and then enter Walkers tent. Where all of it took place. We had written a note on the back of a label that was on one of the cans of food. They had taken our weapons, but not our bags. I used the sharpie I had used to write on the map. The note depicted our plan.
Whoever gets this note let the prisoner that is still in the cage out. Let him to his weapons and we will over throw Walker and start anew. If you believe in us and that Walker needs to leave, then please understand our cause. We don’t want to let Walker over rule this establishment anymore. 
            I doubted the plan but Kieran had assured me it would work. I saw a guard approaching, the one that had led Kieran into that place. I gritted my teeth, but Kieran’s words rang clearly in my mind: They don’t have a choice. He approached carefully. “Are you with Kieran?” He asked steadily.
            My heart stopped. “You know him?”
            “Of course. He was here before.” He spoke softly.
            “You- You’re the guard that helped after he got raped in Walker’s tent.” I said, eyeing him.
            He tensed. “Y-yes. That would be me.” I could tell he was intimidated.
            I let out the breath. “Thank you for looking after him when I couldn’t. I appreciate it.”
            He visibly relaxed. “It’s no problem, if I could have stopped it from happening, I would’ve. That’s why I’m with you now.” He unlatched the cage door. “Please don’t prove me wrong in trusting you. I’m putting my own life on the line as well.” He opened it. I grabbed my pack and stepped out. I set down my pack in Kieran’s cage with his. “Just try to be quiet. I’m not sure who will go against you here. Please try to make it quiet.” He looked around, but everyone was too busy at the camp fire to care. I nodded and knelt down, running behind a tent. I glanced back at the guy.
            “What’s your name?” I asked.
            He looked confused. “It’s Felix.”
            I nodded. “Thank you Felix. You will get your retribution.” I started treading on the outskirts of the tents.
            “Be careful.” I heard him whisper half-heartedly behind me.
            I arrived at Walker’s tent. At that moment I heard Felix walk up to the guard that was still on duty. “Hey man, why don’t you take a break and get some rest. I know your wife came back from scavenging. Go to her.”

            The guy seemed grateful. “Thanks Felix.” He sighed and gave a smile. “I don’t know how much longer we can last like this. Even the women have to go out now because of Walker’s insecurity. It’s damn stupid.” He kicked the ground. “Someone else needs to take over soon.” Was it really that bad? Kieran wasn’t lying when he said they all wanted it. This gave me hope.
        When the guard left his post, I slipped in front of the tent and peeked through the hole. What I saw made me grit my teeth and my blood boil.