Part 2

For past many years Pakistan is struggling with sectarian violence and religious extremism that is damaging the international image of the country and also disintegrating our society internally. No doubt some NGOs and individuals are doing concrete efforts to neutralize the conditions but still many leaves are left unturned and adequate planning is desperately required from government to completely get rid of this large scale activity. I had a long discussion with Dr. Naim in this regard as well and found his view purely rational and well justified.

"I am not a religious scholar but have my personal views", he emphasized. There was a school of thought that believed religion should be in everything and another had opposite views but there was some sort of intermingle between the two in our society he assumed. He asked if there were religious parties who preached other than five time prayers and other ibadaat that were no doubt important but much needed to be addressed like taking care of your neighbors, keep away from bribery, do not break laws and other social duties. "It is some how portrayed that only Ibadaat entitle whole religion that promotes extremism", he mentioned. He referred a religious scholar proving islamically that to break red signal was actually a sin because when driving license is acquired the licensee submits his will to abide by traffic rules and to break the rule is a sin. Similarly he put forward those so called babas in discussion as their practice of brain washing the innocent people and looting money from them and involved in some indecent activities as well. In this regard he discussed the story of patient, a teenage girl, at his charity clinic who was brought there by her mother. The mother wanted Dr. Naim to convince the daughter to go to 'Pahar Ganj' in Nazimabad, Karachi to aastana of that baba (The place where that so called religious baba treated his patients). When he inquired the girl why she did not want to go there the girl revealed, "He touches my private parts". Dr. Naim could not believe the response of the mother as she said, "Doctor sahib jahan bala hogi baba wahan haath to lagain ge na". (The baba will obviously touch that part where he knows the problem is).He said that the mother who had sacrificed her daughter's dignity was an icon and such were used by those so called babas. He said his professional colleagues will not appreciate much but he was willing to invite those babas and quakes to discuss and tell them the CMD (Common Mental Disorders) in humans and the ways to treat them with mental therapy and some medication. To address this issue collaborative efforts were required and those will those efforts would keep them off from getting involved in ill practices he clarified.