Chapter 6

Chapter 6

It made sense to her now, what Lord Dragunov had said about changing their minds. He didn't want Thomas to come to their side. She could see how a wizard born to Wanderers could be a problem for him.

Her worry was a little more self-centred.

"My lords..." Cindy paused hesitantly.

"Yes?"

"What if I made a mistake? What if he really isn't a wizard?"

"Is there something you wish to add to your report? Something you may have forgotten to mention?"

There were a few things she had left out. Like how she had fallen asleep while she waited outside his house, how she had poked him to see if he was actually real or a figment of her imagination. But those were minor details, nothing that needed to be shared.

"No, my lord."

"A wizard born to Wanderers is not a claim we take lightly. Others were sent to verify. He is what you say," Lord Lipton said lazily, staring at his nails.

A weight seemed to lift off her chest just then and she let out a long silent breath, feeling relieved and a little lightheaded. They weren't about to make such an important decision based on her report alone. She noticed Lord Lipton's nails. They were quite long. Maybe he should consider cutting them.

"There is more," Lord Colborne said. "Lord Dragunov does not approve of the boy coming to our side. As I am sure you are aware, he is a fervent supporter of removing the Great Barrier, conquering the world, enslaving the Wanderers, you know." He waved his hand in the air dismissively. "He isn't alone in his views. Their support seems to grow every day." Lord Colborne paused to stare at her.

Cindy wondered why he was telling her this. It wasn't that she didn't already know it, everyone did. But why was he telling her? What did he want from her?

"The School of Merlin is in the Land of the Free," Lord Colborne said. "No man from any House would openly harm him there. But the Le Fays do have many fanatical supporters." He paused again. "You are to keep watch over him and protect him from harm's way. It would be a shame if the boy were to die before we truly understand what he is."

Cindy blinked twice as she realised her worry had been misplaced. It was Tom whose life was in danger, not hers. If they brought him here and the Le Fays managed to get a hold of him...

"Is that understood?" Lord Colborne asked.

"Yes, my lord," Cindy said automatically.

Was she really going to bring the boy here, to a place where he would be more of a misfit than he already was? To a place where he would be fiercely hated by so many? What other option did she have? Could she refuse a lord?

"You will not need to report to anyone. You are there simply to protect him. We have others in the school – if he really is a wizard born to Wanderers, well..."

Lord Colborne reached into his pocket and pulled out a purple pouch. He threw it towards Cindy. It glided in the air before landing in her open palm. Inside it was dust, gold dust.

"Use it wisely," Lord Colborne said, "and bring us our boy wizard."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote for it :)