Chapter 1: Are You Coming With Me?

"this is a once in a lifetime opportunity Ivory, are you really going to waste it"

This kept going over and over in my head, was I going to waste it? Spending a whole year with one of my friends in America?

Experiencing American schools, American summer, American life. Should I do it?

I asked my mum, and she said that I would be able to if I find a place to stay and make sure that everything is safe.

"Ivory, Luke is here" my mum called from downstairs as I was in my room.

I ran down the stairs and hugged my best friend.

"Yes, I will come! I will come to America with you!" I said into his shoulder while hugging him.

"you will?" He asked as he picked me up and spun me around "Ivory this will be the best year, spending it with my best friend in America"

He put me down and we went to tell me mum about us going to America.

We would have to tell her everything, from where we were staying, to what schools we were going to, to the telephone numbers of everything.

"We have relatives in Santa Monica Ivory, you and Luke will be staying with them" my mum told us.

At least that would save us money on accommodation

We are leaving just before new year, 27th December.

Which is next week, Christmas is this week, I wonder what I will get?

The lights in the house were beautiful, they went so well with the Christmas tree...and the stockings on the fireplace, the smell off mulled wine coming from the kitchen.

My dad would have loved this, this will be the first year without him after the car crash...I missed him. It's going to be so hard without him, dad always made the best Christmas dinner.

"I know it's hard for you Ivory, the first year without your dad. But I bet you he's up there happy that you have had a amazing time in music school over the summer after he passed" Luke said trying to make me feel better.

"i hid the pain luke, you know that! It still hurts but I know it's for the best that I smile for mum she can't see that I'm still hurting. She hasn't even went through his stuff yet..." I said truthfully. "Maybe this year in America will help me get over the passing"

We walked into the living room to see my mum sniffling over the Christmas decorations.

"Mum don't cry! Dad wouldn't want us to be upset at Christmas, it was his favorite time of year" I sympathized.

She patted away the tears, and and pinched her cheeks. Putting a little colour in them.

"Mum, me and Luke are going for a walk, we will be back soon" I said putting on my ugg boots and my winter jacket

"Be back by 10" my mum called from the kitchen.

Me and luke walked out the house and started walking to Starbucks in town. It's not that far away, we only lived a few minutes.

"So, Santa Monica...we will be going to school there. I wonder what life will be like?" Luke said as a small light trickle of snow started falling.

"It's going to be a amazing Experiance, to see what life like over there, different from ours" I said as we entered Starbucks.

"A white hot chocolate and a coffee please" I said to the barista

Because it was around 8:30pm, there was barely anyone here.