Chapter 1 - Hazy

Authors note: This is all the work of my imagination, and is not the work of any other author. - Lauren

     + + +

Every night we take our Vitamins. Placed at the back of our tongues, and washed away in the small waterfall of liquid that pushes it down the throat of the trusting human. We are all trusting humans, and we love to be this way. Its eases us into a calm way of life, that, without the help of the Vitamins would consist of chaos and fire. Chaos that would leave us distraught while the fires of our pride burned away what we as humans, as one, have created. 

I don't even remember when i started taking the Vitamins, but i know for sure that I couldn't live without them. In fact i don't think anyone can, or have even tried to because we know that our bodies wouldn't like it. That the fires that have been programmed into our minds, as monsters, would churn us apart from the inside out. Starting at the pit of our souls, revealing all of our darkest fantasies and desires, and our greediest thoughts. It would shred the world to pieces. 

I open my delivery packet to reveal that tonight i have two blue and yellow Vitamins. Over the years i've learned to differentiate between colours and feelings with them, but it wasn't an easy task. The government is very strict about how the Vitamins are taken. They say, "All Vitamins must be consumed in one sitting. Persons with more than one Vitamin must be watched that they are consumed as one." I guess thats because they don't want anyone to feel not quite right. I don't really know the real reason why, but i think i've got a pretty close guess with that. I still managed it somehow, to hold one colour under my tongue while the other worked its magic, then swallowed it later to feel its effects. 

My mother, old and haggard watches me as i tip the Vitamins from the palm of my hand, into my mouth. Of course I don't tell her she is old and haggard, somehow i feel that it is not programmed into me to tell her this. Possibly because its already quite obvious and she should know it. But its strange. A part of me wants to scream it at her, but the urge to suppress this thought is stronger than a coin to a magnet. I've seen her think this way too. Like when the neighbours peek into our back garden, i see this look of incredible calmness rush over her face, like something within her is forcing her to not uprise against Mr and Mrs.Caths. 

As the Vitamins begin to work their magic, the thoughts about my mothers cracked skin and the neighbours unspoken endeavors with us seem to evaporate from my mind, and are replaced with a swirling concoction of exhaustion and calmness all at once. As my mind dances its way into bed, i feel my body become more lightweight and airy. This part always reminds me of when i was in school learning about past cultures, at the part where they believes these small humans called 'Pixies' lived and breathed among us in tiny mushrooms. This is what i imagine them to have been like, feeling pretty and sparkly and full of graceful movement. I never remember much on my way to bed, and the same goes for tonight too because before i know it i am at rest on my mattress with the fresh smell of clean soapy bed sheets wrapped around my body. I know immediately, same as every night, that as soon as i shut my eyes and open them again, my blissful feeling will have passed and the day will have started again.