{Not So} Simply Cupcakes: Chapter Five

{Chapter Five}

"Hey, how's it going?" Mom asks, walking into the store front. She's holding a tray of pumpkin spice cupcakes, frosted with white cream cheese frosting.

"Good," I reply dreamily. It was about three hours after I started my post, and I couldn't wait to go get my phone (where it was upstairs, charging).

"Why so happy?" she observes, and opens the glass case. Carefully, she transfers the cupcakes on the tray to the display center.

I weigh my choices on what to say. Then I say carefully, "My friend, Bella, and her brother and his friend came in. I met Bella at the high school. "

"So which one do you like?" she asks, rearranging the cakes to make them look prettier.

"What?"

"Which boy? Her brother or her brother's friend?" she asks knowingly.

I give her a stern look. "Her brother's friend." I admit.

"Well?" she looks up expectantly, wiping her hands on her jeans. "Name?"

"Gosh, Mom. Nosy much?" I ask, my nose crinkling, but I say, "Aidan."

"That's a nice name." she comments, shutting the glass case. Mom picks up the tray and holds it in her hands. "I was going to ask you if you wanted a part-time job here, since we're going to need extra help. The word about our little Simply Cupcakes bakery has spread and I've been getting a lot of orders lately." she beams.

"I'd love to work part-time. With Tori?" I ask, adjusting my apron.

Mom shrugs. "I've been thinking about that. Tori is an excellent baker, so I'm debating whether or not you can handle the job by yourself."

"I don't know. Whatever you think is best. If you need the help back there, I can man-down this station," I joke.

"Okay then." she salutes, turning. Then something catches her eyes and she turns back. "Leah?"

"What?" I say again.

"Is that a tip jar?" she nods to the fully packed jar on the counter.

I blush, "Yes. I've gotten many tips." I reply defensively.

She looks disapproving for a moment, then smiles. "Just like your dad." then she heads back into the kitchen. I'm about to take a break to run upstairs, seeing how its supper time and only a couple of people have passed it. I accidentally drop the elastic I just took out of my hair and bend down just as the bell chimes.

"Um, hello? I need a cupcake! The service is terrible!" a familiar voice says. I stand back up and brush myself of.

"I'm sorry, sir. How about a free cupcake?" I say, mock-happily.

"Yes, ma'am," Dad says, slamming his fist excitedly on the counter. "I want the chocolate one, you know, the one with the chocolate filling and the jimmies."

I pull on a rubber glove and select the biggest, chocolatest one there is. I wave it in front of his nose, and when he reaches out to grab it, I pop it in my mouth. "Mm, yummy," I say, chewing.

"No fair," he pouts. "You're grounded."

I freeze. "Seriously?"

"Hah, no! But you should've have seen the look on your face!" he laughs.

"Shut up," I scold, swallowing hardly. "Where have you been all day?" I pull another cupcake out and hand it to him fairly now.

"Getting a job." he says, taking a large bite out of the top.