Chapter 6

(I just couldn't help but update early! I'm sorry about the length, every time it feels like I've written a lot, I publish and realize it's only 2 pages once more! I hope once I get more into the plot, there is more to explain and more to write, hence longer chapters! Okay, enough rambling, enjoy!)

"So uuh..do you want me to put on any music?" The car ride has been fairly quiet for the past couple minutes. I don't ever talk to him. I don't know his interests. How am I supposed to carry a conversation with him? But he finally breaks the awkwardness.

"No, it's fine. Thank you for giving me a ride." His eyes staring at the road so closely as if there is something out of sight he is searching for. A car passes by from the opposite direction and the glimmer in his green eyes so beautiful, like a shard of emerald being lifted from under a spotlight.

He looks over to me for a mere second and gives me the slightest smirk. I recognize that was signal of saying "you're welcome." He seems more interested in the road before him than anything else. His car drives so smoothly across the bumpy road. I lean back on the maroon leather seats of his beautifully polished car. It's as if no one has touched it in months. I guess he's spoiled. But I'm not surprised.  

"Sorry I'm not talking much. I get really fixed on the road when I'm driving. I have been like this since the first day I began to drive. My parents don't mind, because it's safer I guess."

"Don't worry," I lightly chuckle. The vibe in this car seems to be so tense. This is awkward.. or maybe I'm just making it seem that way? He probably doesn't even notice. I'm overthinking again. Stop, Kate.

I open my phone and notice multiple drunk texts from Brooke. This isn't the first time I've received them from her. I quickly proceed to delete them without bothering to know what they said. I look out the window and stare at the trees hiding in the shade as we drive past them swiftly. After a brief moment of staring out the window, I realize the car window slowly descending.

"I figured you wanted some fresh air." He seems to be reading my mind with everything. I let out a light laugh and let the wind hit my face in an almost soothing manner. Minutes pass by and the tension in the car dies down as I stare out the windows at the foliage of Washington State.

My attention gets drawn to the chocolate wrapper in one of his cup holders.

"Do you want it?" How does he know everything I'm thinking about? "Sure, I love Snickers." I haven't eaten for hours. I nibble at my Snickers bar and glance down at my phone periodically.

"We're almost near Walmart. Can you tell me the way from there?"

"Sure, no problem. Just take a right on Maple Drive and then a left on Archwood Street and my house is the one on the corner. And thank you again."

"It's fine, really. And I didn't really want to stay anyway. My basketball team mates make us go to about half of the football games. I don't even understand the fucking game. It's quite ridiculous how we have to go them."

"I don't get the game either!" at least I've found something we can converse about. "My friends are school spirited I guess so we have to go to every school event. So I just tag along with them."

Why do you hang out with those prissy chicks who only care about their hair and makeup anyway? No offense."

"I'm not actually offended. I agree with you completely. I've just known them since middle school. I guess they just kinda stuck on me," I lie. The memories flash through my mind. I remember purposely sitting near them, purposely dressing like them to get their attention, purposely joining their conversations about things I had no interest in reality. All that, just to fit it. "You shouldn't be talking. All you and your friends think about are getting in a girl's pants and scoring a basket."