Prologue- End of Hope, Start of Despair

Screaming filled the poor boy's ears. It was a horrible chorus, a symphony, of screeches from the thirteen teenagers around him. A deep purple-haired girl with long braids fell down, unconscious due to an overload of shock. Meanwhile, a few kids was trying to calm the others down. A muscled woman that was twice the boy's size was endeavoring another woman to calm down, who was panting and sweating profusely, which added onto the tears that rolled down her tanned cheeks. One man just stood and watched the catastrophe with obvious boredom in his teal eyes that hid behind the gleaming glasses that he donned.

       This boy was Makoto Naegi, and he had no idea of what was happening at that moment. His beige eyes fell before the dead form of a once beautiful woman now reduced to a pink, bloodied corpse, her pale blue eyes now gazing lazily at nothing. Naegi felt a creeping bile that stung his throat and sent his skinny legs shaking under the pressure at the sight of the woman. He rose his hand up to his mouth and thought of things that would make the corpse, the screams, and the reality of the situation go away.

          Komaru Naegi, his dear sister, his parents, their comfortable home....no, that isn't helping the ache in his heart. In fact, it was doing the opposite; it was making him cry. Naegi attempted to steady his breathing, but once he did so, a stiff shoulder bumped his shoulder. He turned around to find Mondo Oowada, the buff gang leader that ruled the streets outside the school. Pure fury raged in his eyes like an unstoppable flame.

             He walked up to the start of the commotion, a black-and-white bear that strongly resembled a panda bear, but was far from the usually peaceful species. Oowada, with the strength of a bull, thrusted his arm towards the bear's nonexistent throat, his indigo irises set out to see the bear "die".

              "You...Asshole!" he snarled at the bear in his hands, the hilarious chortling that it issued now stopped abruptly. It's one crimson eye shined with a pinch of anger.

               "Let me go! Or do you want to end up like her?" it screeched at the pompadoured man, and pointed at the girl, which yet again, made Naegi's stomach roll with disgust, small tears stinging his already sore eyeballs. That remark sent a chilling silence throughout the gymnasium, perhaps even through the looming school. All sights were set on Oowada, watching curiously like hawks on what his next action will be.

                 Mondo glanced at each of the students, all of them making no move to stop Oowada. With a grumble, he sat the bear down roughly, and trudged at the back of the gigantic pack of teenagers. The bear continued to chortle for a short minute, and then wagged his finger at Naegi and the rest with a similarity of a teacher scolding their class. "Tch, tch! That's what I thought! Anyways, you should all learn from your dear friend over there!" it taunted.

                    That was Monokuma, the bear who captured all of them in Hope's Peak Academy. You see, let the narrator explain. All of them were Super Duper High School Levels, or SHSLs for short. Naegi, who got into the academy simply for his astonishing luck, was debatably the most normal out of all of them. So, thinking it was his most lucky break ( since Hope's Peak Academy is known most famously for "whoever attends this school will have a glorious future"), he attended the school. But what he didn't possibly expect was that Monokuma had much more different plans for them. It trapped them within the school, and told them about, "If they wanted so desperately to escape, they would have to murder one or two of their fellow classmates." They thought it was a horrible joke that the headmaster had played on them, but once Monokuma brutally killed Junko, the corpse on the ground, they knew that all of this was completely and utterly real.

                     "Now, are you sacks of worthless flesh going to cooperate, or do you want poles impaled in your body as well?" Monokuma threatened the children, it's accent, which sounded like a sharp-nailed finger trailing across a chalkboard, began to seem more irritated by the seconds that went by.