Epilogue

Chilly ocean winds blew the sands around my feet. I huddled close to Romero, grateful for his strong warmth. I'll miss him when I'm out with Nerissa.

About three months have passed since we all arrived back to Earth, safely. The magical creatures were working hard to fit in, and so far they're doing well.

But best of all, Nerissa and I got permission to, instead of school for a few months, travel. It will count as course credit for us to fly, or in Nerissa's case, swim west across the ocean and explore Europe, and Africa, and Asia.

Nerissa was currently in the surf with Ryba and Kelwin, laughing and talking and saying goodbye. Their red, orange, and gold tails looked like flames against the dark rainclouds in the sky.

I frowned at the rainclouds. There was 95% chance of the first rainfall of autumn today, and Romero hasn't kissed me yet.

I had visions that told me if Romero kissed me by the first rainfall of autumn, and autumn began yesterday, then we would have a real future together, one that would last for the rest of our lives.

But if Romero didn't kiss me by the first rainfall of autumn, we would eventually break it off.

Maybe it's for the better, I kept trying to convince myself, there's lots of boys out there.

But they aren't Romero.

"Well," I sighed, looking into Romero's big grey eyes, "I should get going. Rain's going to start soon."

As I started walking, Romero grabbed my wrist and said, "Emmy, wait!"

I turned, and he kissed me, and I think that it was possibly the best thing that ever happened to me.

After we leaned back, the first raindrop fell.

He kissed me before the first rainfall.

So I leaned in and kissed him again. It's time, Emmy, tell him how you really feel.

After I'd pulled away and hugged him, I said, with a nervous breath, "I love you."

"I love you too," Romero said earnestly. "I have since I first saw you. So be careful, and come back soon."

Emmy nodded and waved at him and Chay, who had already said goodbye to Nerissa. Then she waved at Anastasia and Amy, who were sitting not too far away in the sand.

Emmy fluffed out her wings and felt the rain patter on them. "Ready?" Emmy asked Nerissa.

"Ready," Nerissa replied, sinking beneath the waves. I launched into the air, following the shape streamlining through the water.

And so we set off west, searching for our destiny.

As we always will.