Chapter 11: A New Home

Emmy squeezed Romero's hand and felt sunlight that filtered through the branches above dapple her skin. It had been a few weeks since she and Nerissa had returned to the wind village with Orinda's egg. Romero had nearly fainted when he saw the state of Emmy and Nerissa. And, he had insisted that they get their wounds treated immediately. Ashley and King Bavol agreed, taking good care of them.

She looked over to him and smiled. It really was sweet how much Romero cared about her. In fact, he and Chay, who was now walking and talking with Nerissa, had insisted on coming with Emmy and Nerissa as they stopped to tell everyone of their success. To Emmy's surprise, though, Tesserae stayed behind. Apparently, she found a girlfriend and chose to stay with her.

When they saw Ryba, she wouldn't stop talking about their 'heroic scars'. Emmy had one that ran across her left temple, and Nerissa had one that arched from her left shoulder down her back. Kelwin, of course, didn't notice anything other than the fact that Nerissa was back.

Emmy was thankful that Ryba had given her a type of harness for the egg though. Now, she barely noticed that it was there. But Romero wouldn't stop looking at it. He looked like he was considering killing it as soon as it hatched.

It might have to be done.

Emmy glanced ahead, wondering how long it was until they got to the pine forest where the elves lived. Emmy couldn't stop wondering what had happened after she and Nerissa left.

Maybe they'll know what those symbols mean, Emmy thought. She hadn't stopped trying to figure out what they meant. So far, she hadn't had any breakthroughs.

"This looks as good a place as any to stop for the night," Nerissa suddenly said from ahead, pausing by a stream.

Emmy smiled knowingly and said, "You just want to sleep in the stream, don't you?"

"Maybe," Nerissa replied, slyly. "Come on."

Emmy shook her head, holding back a laugh, and set Orinda's egg down to help make camp.

"I still don't get why you keep that thing," Romero said to Emmy. "It's just as dangerous as its mother."

Emmy shrugged and offered, "Curiosity, maybe?"

Romero gave Emmy an exasperated look, which he wore often. Emmy was fine with it, though, she adored him when he was exasperated.

"Let's go find something to eat," Emmy said, turning to Nerissa.

"What about us?" Chay asked.

"Don't worry, Chay," Nerissa replied, trying her best not to start laughing. "you girls just stay here and braid each others' hair."

Emmy waved goodbye and set off into the woods just as Romero started ranting to Chay. A bright green pine tree would occasionally stick Emmy amongst the other trees. She had to cut multiple branches down with the spear she had gotten as a gift from King Bavol. It had replaced her now broken bow (which she had no idea about what caused the break) and no arrows.

Emmy strained her ears listening for a rabbit or deer. She did hear faint rustling, but not the type prey makes.

Then, something flashed between the trees.

"What the..." Emmy asked, just as something hit her from behind and pinned her to the ground.

"I highly suggest you get off of me. Now," Emmy snarled, muffled by grass. To her surprise, the weight lifted.

Emmy turned over and looked at who was pinning her. It was a girl, an elf really, who looked to be about twelve. She was just over four feet, had wavy light brown hair that hung to her chest, and seafoam green eyes.