Prologue

I awoke with a start, my lungs on fire as I let out a blood-curdling scream. I tried to choke back the sobs, but the events from my most recent nightmare replayed in my head, leaving me crying and shaking in the darkness of my bedroom.

My bedroom door swung open with a strong force, revealing my mother with a concerned look in her eyes. She slowly approached me, not completely sure what was going on. You see, I'm prone to anxiety attacks. I see visions, and they're always so real, it feels like I'm really there. The worst part is, they're not just visions. They happen in real life too, exactly the way it happened in my head. I can't stop them from happening. I've been cursed with a psychic ability.

"Vanessa, sweetie, what's wrong?" My mother demanded as she wrapped her arms around me, immediately filling me with a sense of comfort.

"I-It's nothing. I had a nightmare. That's all," I responded, not wanting her to worry. She's had enough on her plate lately, and she sure as Hell didn't need to put me on her list of concerns.

There was a moment of silence before she spoke up.

"Vanessa, I thought you told me you were unable to dream."

She was right. All my life, I've had the inability to dream. The only way I've gotten close to dreaming were my stupid visions. But this one... this one HAD to be a dream. Those gruesome images I saw, they couldn't determine our future. That's impossible.

"Mom, you don't understand," I cried, still shaking. "It can't be real. It can't be," I whispered.