Love

It was the middle of the night and Damian Wayne couldn't sleep. He was always a light sleeper, so it didn't necessarily phase him.

Resting at his side was Mar'i Grayson, his fiancée. She slept soundly, her breathing even and soft. Her head was tucked under his chin and Damian's arm was looped around her waist. He thought she looked beautiful when she slept. Then again, he always thought Mar'i looked beautiful.

Damian sighed softly and brushed a piece of hair out of her face. Sometimes he thought he didn't deserve her, honestly. He was born to inherit a legion of terrorist assassins, he spilled the blood of countless people before he learned to value life, and to top it all off, he wasn't the most pleasant person to be around. He was so flawed, and he knew it. But Mar'i—

Mar'i was perfect.

She was perfect to him, at least. She was unbelievably kind, selfless, gorgeous, sweet, considerate-- the list was endless. One of his favorite things about her, though, was how she was so loving. Mar'i loved with her entire being. It still amazed him that she had a place in her heart solely for him.

   Damian smiled to himself. God, how he loved her. He loved every little thing about her. He loved how Mar'i bit her lip when she was nervous or when she was concentrating too hard. He loved the cute little blush that appeared on her cheeks every time he complimented her. He loved that she insisted on being the one to nurse his wounds after a long night on patrol. Everything she said, did, and was, he loved.

He loved her, period.

Damian gently kissed the top of her head, careful not to wake her. He closed his eyes, attempting to go back to sleep.

   Mar'i stirred slightly, but he didn't think much of it.
"Damian?"

Ah. So she had woken up.

    "I didn't wake you, did I?" Damian asked her.

"No," she answered sleepily. "What're you awake for?"

He shrugged slightly. "Couldn't sleep."

   "Try to get some sleep, Dami. You have work tomorrow," Mar'i said, closing her eyes and tucking her head back under his chin.

"Yes, Beloved," he responded, pressing another kiss onto the top of her head.

  A few moments of silence ensured.

"Mar'i?" Damian said into her hair.

      "Hmm?" She hummed inquisitively, not opening her eyes.

He tilted her chin upwards and he kissed her lips, gently, before whispering, "I love you."

   Mar'i smiled. "I love you too. Now, go to sleep. It's like three in the morning." She nuzzled against his chest, getting comfortable and trying to fall back asleep.