Chapter 14 - District 2

"You won the Games?" I asked Joy. I was quite jealous of Joy. She had beautiful blonde hair. "Yes, I did." Joy said. "So did Rachel." Rachel was looking down. "Rachel, Rachel!" Joy said.  "That is very true. I won the Games." She purred. She didn't take her eyes off me. "When? A couple days ago?" I asked. Joy nodded. "And you, Rachel?" I asked. "I don't know really, but it should be less than a week." Rachel said. "Should we make an alliance in the Games?" I asked. "Totally." Joy said. Rachel smiled and nodded.

"So it's an alliance then." Rachel said. "No boys?" I asked. Joy shrugged. Just then, the door leading to an elevator opened. My eyes wide open, my jaw opened down to the floor. My head up in the skies creating countless happy fantasies. Then he stepped out. Dressed in tight black pants and a white sleeveless shirt, he walked slowly, his eyes darting around the room.

I looked at Joy. "Who is that?" I asked. "Ross Groven." Rachel answered. Ross Groven.. the name seems familiar. I thought. "You know, the interviews have been postponed." I said. "Actually, they've been cancelled. We're going back to District 2 tomorrow." Rachel said. "We're going to have houses at the Victor's Village!" I said. "Share. We are going to share houses." Joy said. "How come?" I asked. "Because, you know, only 1 of them survives, so they don't want to clean up multiple houses. So for now we'll be room-mates... and the house will be larger than usual." Joy said."You mean, Ross is going to be here too?" I asked. Rachel nodded.

Ross' mentor came and introduced him to us. "This is Ross Groven. He's 18." Ross smiled and gave me his hand. He squeezed it hard and pulled me into him. Then he whispered into my ear - "I've seen what you've done.. and you're dead meat, Violet. You're no match for me." He gave me a nasty look. I know what my opinion about Ross is. He's going to be the first person I kill.

He might be attractive, but surely I don't like him at all. I sighed. "Want to share a room? I saw one with three beds over here." I said. After all, it was pretty late. Rachel smiled and followed me. So did Joy. We arrived at a large room with one large TV in one wall. It took up most of the wall, while the spaces remaining at the sides were the sound system. I climbed into one bed and pressed a button. My pajamas appeared behind my pillow. I ran to the bathroom and changed there.

I came back to find Rachel and Joy in loose, short old-school pajamas just like mine. We sat in our beds. I walked out and locked the door. I turned on the TV and changed into Ross's Games. He was a Career. He had gotten multiple resouces at the Cornucopia and killed many people. He was sleeping with the Careers when a small girl infiltrated the Career camp.

Ross woke up, tied her to a tree, took out a knife and slowly decapitated her, swining the knife along her neck slowly. The girl screamed and screamed until her head fell off and the cannon rang. Ross high-fived her district partner. Then everybody fell asleep. I quickly skipped up to the time where only Ross and someone else was left.

Ross looked at the young girl from District 2 who used to be a Career. "Astrid," I whispered. Astrid, the girl who was about 16, was one of my friends. I don't know how she got reaped or if she volunteered. I sighed. Ross took out a pack of darts and opened a tube filled with nightlock juice. He only had 2 darts left. He dipped the darts into the nightlock and removed them carefully with gloves. Then he opened up a container that was inside the darts and placed some mushed leaves into it.

He smiled and tied the non-sharp end of the dart with a thin rope and then tied the other end to his hand. He watched Astrid in the distance and then threw the dart. The dart sunk into her flesh and let her skin turn purple. Then he pulled the thin rope and the dart came back. He catched it and smiled. Then he became victor.