Chapter 5 - Training Sessions

I was woken up by Jan. She was clapping and yelling. "Wake up! Wake up! Wake up Violet!!" She yelled. I heard Zachary groan from the other room, and made me giggle. "What time is it?" I asked. "Wake up!" Jan said. "I said what time is it!" I yelled. "5.50!" Jan said. "In the morning?!" I yelled. "Yes!" Jan said. "Isn't it so exciting?" Jan continued. "The training doesn't start until 9.30!" I yelled back. "Yes, we know, but the other tributes won't be there so you can actually train. The Gamemakers will be too sleepy to care. You'll have enough time then. When other tributes arrive, you pretend to be a weakling! That is for you too, Zachary!" Jan yelled. I nodded. I went to my walking closet. "Nuh-huh!" Jan said.

"What?" I snapped. "Here's your uniform." Jan said. "Alright.." I said. I went there and changed into the uniform. I put on the jacket with the number 2 on it and Caramel put my hair in a high ponytail. The outfit included black fingerless gloves, a red zipper jacket, tight grey pants, black shoes and a white short-sleeved shirt. I zippered the jacket and met Zachary. Together we went down to train. We were the first ones there, and the Game-makers were sleepy, drunk, or had their faces against the tables, probably napping.

I went into the survival skills and worked on tying knots. It wasn't easy but I finally got it 10 minutes after. No one was there yet. It was only 6.20 in the morning. I went over to the weapons part, not knowing where to start. I picked up a bow and arrow and aimed at the heart of the dummy. I missed a few inches. I aimed again, for the skull, and hit the very center. I headed over to the throwing knives section and watched as one of the dummies glowed. I threw a knife at the glowing dummy and it hit the shoulder. Another dummy glowed and I threw the knife at the head.

The next dummy glowed and I missed, not even hitting. I continued throwing knives. I lifted over the hood on my jacket and covered my head in it. I picked up a sword and stand on a circular plate. Dummies approached me, and I thought it must be some sort of trap. I used my sword and tried to hurt the dummies. I hit one in the shoulder and it sinked to the ground. I tried to kill them until one of them grabbed me by the back. "GAME OVER." A voice suddenly boomed through the room. I exited and watched Zachary try an obstacle course, he jumped over traps and sleepy Game-makers swung bats at him. He avoided them.

I went to a running course and ran as far as I could go in 5 minutes. I congratulated myself as I finished the course in time. I went over to the obstacle course and competed against Zachary. I jumped from low to high platforms, avoided booby traps and got to the other side. I got to something called the 'Balls of Doom' where balls would hang from the ceiling and swung back and forth over a strip of concrete where you would have to run through. When you got to the other side, you picked up a ring, bring it to the starting point until you finished with all three rings.

I did that and succes was mine. I went to the climbing station where I climbed through rocky walls, like if it was a cliff, and then went to a part where there was a net. You'd have to climb the net while it spun slowly. I fell, sometimes in purpose, because tributes were arriving, but I managed to climb all the way through some times. I went to the camouflaging station and failed to paint my face into a bundle of leaves. I cleaned the paint away and went to the plants station.

I studied plants and learned which were poisonous and which weren't. I was really hungry. It was now near 3 o'clock. We sat down at a long table. The Careers were sitting all together. Tributes from district 1 and district 4. They usually added district 2, but they wouldn't ever add Zachary.

I sat with Zachary, the girl from district 5, Nova, and the boy from district 7, Axel. Nova was 16 years old. She was really tall, she had blonde hair and brown eyes, while Axel was 18, of an average size, and had dark brown curly hair and grey eyes. Nova and Axel did get along, but Nova was sarcastic and a slight bit annoying, Axel would just listen and laugh. Zachary and I felt somehow out of place. "So, Nova, what score do you think you will get in the evaluation?" I asked, trying to break the ice. "A nine, I guess." Nova said, and shrugged.