Entitlements

Ring ring. Oh great, wake up calls. I knew it would be from Emily. I stretched my hand out and picked my phone off the bedside table before answering the call.

"I know you are still in bed, Courtney so get up. Now.", she said over the line.

I squirmed before finally saying,"Fine. I'm up".

I got dressed in my short overalls with a blue shirt and opened my door. Not surprisingly, Emily walked in immediately and sat on the desk chair. I sighed and sat on the bed resting my back on the head. She looked at me.

    We never needed to open our mouths to speak to one another. Just a look and I'd understand her. Like right now, the look said, "Talk". I ignored her. Not this time. Usually I'd just talk without any prompting from her. But not today, I was gonna make her beg. She was proud and I knew this would take a while so I grabbed my phone from the table and proceeded to play my bubble booster.

She raised her eyebrows but her pride was stopping her from speaking. I smirked, her curiosity would soon get the best of her.

      Let me just say, my best friend has a lot of tolerance but everyone has a limit. After about thirty minutes of silence, she groaned and took the space next to me.

"So, Courtney, what's up with you and that John guy?", she said. I let a small smile cross my lips. Well, I never said I would let it be easy.

"He's cool", I mumbled as I continued my game. I felt Emily bristle beside me. She was getting mad already. She always did anytime I did this. And I did this a lot.

"Courtney, you let him drive your car. You wouldn't even let me near that car the first three weeks you got it," she said trying and failing to keep her voice calm. I smiled, I would end her torture soon. Just one more. I shrugged and stood up.

"Whatever", I said, grabbing my jacket and my purse.

She frowned in confusion, "Where are you going?"

"To breakfast", I replied already pulling the door open.

"With John", I added as the door shut. I heard her scrambling up and rushing to catch up to me.

      "Courtney", she yelled as she opened the door, preparing to rush after me. I couldn't help myself anymore and burst out laughing. She frowned again when she realised what happened. She huffed and pushed past me to the elevator. I followed her, still laughing up a storm.

"It's not funny, Courtney."she said, her cheeks turning red out of embarrassment. I smiled, "Oh yes it is. You should have seen your face". Her face turned red again as the doors opened again and we got out.

"You can stop laughing now. You're embarrassing both of us", she said through clenched teeth. I managed to control my laughter and put my arm over her shoulder. I'm shorter than her so this was really uncomfortable...for both of us. I grinned brightly at her and said, "I'm sorry".

She spared me a glance as we made our way to the breakfast table. I pouted and gave her my best puppy dog face. She laughed and said,"OK, you're forgiven. Just stop that face. You look like Voldermort".

I grinned. "Before his reappearance", she added.

      We both got cereal and sat at the nearest table to the exit. No sooner had we begun to eat than John walked in, grabbed an apple and sat down.

"Good morning, ladies", he said as he bit into his apple.

"Morning", we both replied. Breakfast was a silent affair.

"Alright, let's go", John said standing up.

I blanked. "To where?"

He looked at me and sighed before sitting down again.

"You should really start checking your emails", he said looking at Emily.

"School's fixed the problem. We're meant to go in and confirm it before moving in in the evening", he said. I smiled, finally.

     I grinned at Emily as we stood up and went to the car. "We forgot our jackets, Em. I'll go get them.", I said, immediately sprinting into the elevator as an old lady walked out. I waved at Emily as the doors closed. I won't lie. A part of me did that to get them to talk to each other and another part really was cold.

    I quickly grabbed our jackets and ran out. I spotted them waiting by the car and quickly jogged over.

"Got 'em", I rasped. She glared at me and slid into the passenger seat as I put the car into motion.

"I trust you know the way to the campus", John said from the back seat. I nodded and soon we were parked in front of the administrative building. We got out and made our way into the building.

     I rolled my eyes as I spotted the prostitute receptionist. This time she was wearing skin tight jeans with an off shoulder blouse. She looked good but slutty. She was lazily typing something before we entered.

"Hello. May I help you?" She purred in a sugary voice which made me cringe.

"Yes, we are here concerning our accommodation", I said.

She turned her attention away from John and looked at me. Recognition filled her eyes. "Oh yes", she said typing into the computer. She handed each of us a slip of paper.

"There you go", she said, looking at John. "You will see all the information you need there". We exited immediately.

"Her number is on yours, isn't it?", Emily said immediately we were out of her range. John nodded. Emily and I burst out laughing.

"It's not funny", he said clenching his teeth.

"Yeah sure"

"See you guys later. Gonna check out my room", he said, waving and walking away. We nodded.

The hostel building was a co-ed facility but girls got the higher floors while the boys stayed on the lower floors. Emily and I were roommates anyway so we checked in together and got our keys.

The room was amazingly spacious and just right for the both of us. It had white walls with colourful patterns on it and the floor was covered in hardwood.

"I love this. It's so big so we can't get in each other's way no matter." Emily gushed as she did a little twirl in the open space. I nodded and opened the window. We were on the fifth floor of six floors so the ground was really far. I cringed as I thought of falling from this height.

"Come on, Court. Let's go get our stuff and personalize this damn room." Emily laughed as she ran out.

"Language," I yelled back, drudging after her.

It took us about two hours to arrange all our stuff and add some decorations as well. By the time we were done, the sun had set.

"Ah. What should we do now?" Emily said lying belly up on her bed.

"Want to take a walk?"

She sat up. "Sure. Let me just change."

I sighed as she took off her skirt and blouse. Unlike me, Emily was a total fashion goddess. We always laughed about how we were the perfect cliché best friends.

She decided on pink sweatpants and a black jersey. I raised my eyebrow at the jersey. "What? It could get cold."

I didn't say anything else. We both knew that jersey belonged to her high school boyfriend who was really far away right now. She was probably missing him.

"OK. Let's go."

Thanks to Emily, we socialized with a lot of people on our short walk. I wasn't surprised. I just hoped I would be okay here. This socializing was just for tonight. My head had to be screwed on tight for the oncoming academic session. After all, one of my conditions is also to make and maintain a 5.0 GPA.