Duckies!

Very short story about a duck family's journey across a road haha

*

*

*

The ducks ambled across the road in a straight line.

"Hurry, Furtie! The monsters are coming!" Mother Duck quacked in alarm. The youngest duckling straggled along behind the duck parade, his feet slapping the ground in desperation.

The others reached the curb, resting in safety.

"Furtie!!" Mother Duck cried out to the youngest, still crossing the road.

Furtie waddled with all his strength, the machine roaring closer. His little heart was pounding. He could smell the petrol, the stench surrounding him. 

It was too close, and he was too little. He feebly ran, safety a few steps away. The truck was close enough for him to see the dirt on the tyre, pale flecks on the rubber as black as death. The noise of the engine reverberated through his body, the beast was upon him.

"FURTIEEEEE!!!!!" Mother Duck screeched.

Splat.

The road stained with red as a tomato fell off the back of the food truck. It rumbled onward with it's load, gone in an instant.

Furtie stepped shakily across the road, the fresh memory of a tyre flashing just in front of his face playing over and over. Mother Duck ran to him, preening his feathers, quacking and fussing. The near death experience over, Furtie waddled onto the curb to join his siblings.