Chapter 6

"Since I found the matches, it is my esteemed honor to choose the first song for our excursion of –"

"Just choose the damn song already, Dinah," Lauren groaned. She threw another stick into the campfire and the flames crackled loudly. "Did you swallow a dictionary or something?"

Dinah sniffed beside her. "I'll let you know that I – the best searcher in this group – do not need a dictionary for a few simple words –"

"DJ, pick one." Ally, sitting between Normani and Camila, looked anxiously around the now pitch-black forest. "Maybe a fire wasn't a good idea, y'all. Everyone and everything will know exactly where to find us. Maybe we should put it out and be as quiet as possible..."

Normani glanced aghast at the smallest member of the group. "No freaking way, Ally! Do you have any idea how dark it would be? This is the only way to see anything here, there's no freaking electricity!"

"You just want to sing Beyoncé," Camila muttered under her breath and fiddled with the strings of her guitar. "You'd probably fight a cougar too if it was the only obstacle between you and her..."

Lauren snorted beside her and Camila gave her a little smile which was easily returned. "Anyway, Dinah – please tell our guitarist of the evening your song choice."

Clearing her throat, Dinah sat up a bit more proudly and looked at each of the girls. "The song of the evening... is going to be... the very first song that Fifth Harmony ever wrote together."

The other four girls went silent as everyone searched their memories and tried to remember. It had been three years and the songs they had recorded felt endless. Or rather the songs they had written but never made it on an album.

"Was the song published?" Lauren asked slowly as it became clear that Dinah wasn't going to say anything further.

The glint in Dinah's eyes had them squirm slightly as each thought the same thing: This couldn't be good.

"Yes."

"'Who Are You'?" Normani asked incredulously. "Don't get me wrong, this song fits and all, especially in our current situation... but I thought this was supposed to bring the group together? How can I do that when I'm always reminded of Camila when I sing it?"

Camila stiffened, but nodded regardless. "True. Although I'm picturing a different group member while singing it, it's certainly not the best choice for all of... this."

Normani leaned forward to get a better look at the other girl. "Really? Who do you think of?"

"I'm not going to say," Camila declared and shifted the guitar on her lap.

"This is supposed to bring us closer together, so I think we have to be honest here. It'd be better if the girl in question knew that you're mad at her so we can work on it," Normani waved her off and glanced to Dinah. "Right? I mean, we're all here because we have to fix our friendship with Camila here... well, mainly me, I guess. But the other person should know too."

"Fine, whatever. It's not like you all don't know," Camila huffed irritated. "Lauren."

"Hm?" Lauren blinked confused. "What's up?"

"'Who Are You'  is basically our friendship in a nutshell, Lauren." Camila rolled her eyes when she noticed how the green-eyed girl got into a defensive position. This was going to get ugly. "Or 'Hot N Cold'  by Katy Perry. Or –"

Lauren inched away from her as her hands flew up. "Whoa, now wait a fucking minute! Those are love  songs! They don't describe us at all!"

"They sound about right since I actually do love you," Camila shot back, causing Lauren to wince. "You can say all kinds of bad words and not bat an eye, but when I say that I love you, you're flinching as if someone hit you! I used to tell you that all the time!"