Chapter 1 ~ Reaping day

The day is dawning and the 17-year-old Jace Wayland is getting dressed. It's Reaping day. Jace's name is in 56 times, which is quite difficult for a 17-year-old boy. Jace is tough, sarcastic and he doesn't care what other people think of him. He doesn't love anyone but himself. Courageously he puts on his clothes, this is what he trained for. He is a Career and he's not afraid. 

At the same time a few houses down the 16-year-old Clary Fray is busy preparing for the Reaping. She makes a ponytail with her red hair and looks in the mirror. She's afraid, afraid of being chosen, afraid of having to fight in the arena. Although she's been training for this her entire life, she'd rather not be chosen.

The 16-year-old Isabelle Lightwood is getting ready for the Reaping too. It's the 50th Hunger Games which means it's a Quarter Quell, the second one. It has already been announced that this year there will be two times as much tributes. Isabelle intends to volunteer as a tribute, because what is better than winning a Quarter Quell?

Just before the Reaping starts Jace visits Greasy Sae together with his half brother Alec Lightwood. Their little sister, Isabelle, is staying home. 'We're gonna do it this year brother, I'm sure.' Says Alec confidently. 'I don't know... what if Clary...' Jace glances down.  What if HIS Clary has to go, what if she has to die... Clary doesn't know how Jace thinks about her, and what he feels for her. Clary is insecure. But Alec knows how Jace is feeling. He puts an arm around Jace and says, 'May the odds be ever in her favor.

Clary Fray takes a deep breath and walks into the kitchen where her mother is sitting. 'You look lovely,' says Jocelyn softly.  'Thanks mum...' says Clary. 'They won't pick you, you know that right? You're name is only in there 37 times sweetheart it'll be alright,' says Jocelyn trying to sound optimistic. 'I'm afraid mum, I've never been afraid before.'

Isabelle is home alone. Alec is with Jace to Greasy Sae. Izzy's parents and Alec don't know yet that she want to volunteer as tribute. They would never be okay with it, she's only 16. But this is where she has been training for her entire life and she has to win the Quarter Quell. She hears Maryse walking down the stairs. 'It'll be alright Isabelle, you won't be picked and if you are someone else will volunteer for you, it's a Career district!' If only she knew what Isabelle intends to do...

Time is ticking. At 1 o'clock the Reaping starts and that is in about half an hour. The 17-year-old Simon doesn't care about it. He turns a blind eye to rules and spends a lot of time with his best friend Clary. The Lightwood family really annoys him but Simon knows that Clary has a crush on Jace even though they've never even talked. It frustrates him because he is the one that has always been there for her. He, not him.

'Clary sweetheart, Simon's here to pick you up,' Jocelyn shouts from downstairs. Clary runs down the stairs in the dress her mother made for her for the Reaping. She greets Simon while he gets inside in his neat clothes. Simon gazes at Clary and stutters 'N-nice dress Clary.' 'Thanks,' Clary ansewrs. 'You really have to go now, it's starting soon, I'll get there when it's time,' Jocelyn says while standing behind them. Clary and Simon get out of the house in there most beautiful clothes, ready for the Reaping.

At a quarter to one Isabelle is runner through District 2. She's searching for her brothers but she can't find them. She has to say goodbye to them. She was the one who was going to win the Games. Okay, she would be cheating but still. She was a Shadowhunter, just like her brothers. Nobody knew, because the Nephilim weren't supposed to be here. They had been sent here by the Institute. They live in a small house together and try not to stand out to much, which is difficult sometimes. Isabelle is confident but also scared. After 5 minutes searching she finds her brothers and says goodbye, the boys not knowing what she intends to do.

Not to far from there Clary and Simon say goodbye too and Clary walks towards Isabelle. Isabelle gives her an angry look and at the same moment Effie walks up the stage.