Chapter 3 ~ Last glance

Clary looks at the tributes next to her with disbelief, it brings tears in her eyes. Now she and Jace are both tributes, she can't believe only one of them can survive, only one can win. But on the other hand she's happy Simon doesn't have to go. At least her best friend is sure for his life, for one year. While Jace looks at Clary they are brought inside to say goodbye to their family and friends. 'I'm so sorry Alec' he whispers to himself.

Isabelle sees Alec storming into the room. 'How could you do this?!' Alec asks. 'I know how much Jace loves Clary and I couldn't live with the fact of him losing her, and I thought if I use some shadowhunter skills I can survive.' Isabelle sees the look in Alec's eyes when she mentions Jace. 'I couldn't have thought both Clary AND Simon would be picked after that...' Then the peacekeepers come inside, time is over. Alec is dragged out of the room and the door is slammed shut. A few seconds later Isabelle's parents come in. 'Oh Isabelle, sweetheart.' They don't see through that this was her plan, that even if Clary hadn't been picked she would still have volunteered. She doesn't tell them because they already have enough grief. 'I have something for you' Maryse says. She gets something out of her pocket. It's a thick silver chain, on which hangs a dark red pendant the size of a baby's fist. 'Here, as a token for in the arena.'  Then the peacekeepers come in again and her parents have to go too. No tears for Isabelle, this was her plan, she has thought about saying goodbye many many times so she doesn't have to do any effort of stopping tears. She'll be okay, she's gonna win this.

A soft knock on the door makes Clary jump to her feet. 'Clary!' Simon calls while coming in. 'Simon! Oh I'm so happy you don't have to go.' 'But you do....' Simon says and tears stream from his eyes. 'Clary you can win this. You're strong enough, you've been training your entire life.' 'I'm gonna try Simon' Clary answers. Then the peacekeeper comes in and says Simon has to go. They give each other a hug and then he's gone. Clary stays behind alone in the room.

Maryse is the only one who visits Jace. Alec couldn't stand it, and now he will never be able to tell Jace how much he loves him, and not only as a parabatai. Maryse is very emotional, she knows she's gonna lose at least one child. She keeps strong, but when she is carried away by the peacekeepers she bursts into tears. Jace on the other hand feels relieved. At least he won't have to watch Clary dying. When he shaked her hand a few minutes ago a jolt went through him. Will Simon have said goodbye to her? And why didn't Alec come to him? A lot of thoughts run through his mind and before he knows he stands in front of a dead peacekeeper and he's on his way to Clary. Why? 

Oh Jace is gonna get problems. But when he comes to Clary's room he sees Simon lean against the door whispering sweet nothings to Clary. Than he hears her voice. Sweet nothings are whispered back to Simon from the other side of the door. Jace knuckles down and as fast as he can he goes back to his own room. Other peacekeepers, unsuspectingly that he just killed someone, take him to the train. Then the other three come as well and they leave for the Capitol. Jace's heart broken.