Chapter 5 ~ Who doesn't listen has to feel

While Isabelle is in her compartment she thinks about winning. If she wants to win the Games Jace has to die, Clary has to die and Sean has to die too. She likes Sean, he's just like her, keen on winning and finding everything from the Capitol awesome. They lived in the quite luxurious District 2 but the Capitol still has more to offer. But if Isabelle wants to win, she has to be ruthless, Sean too will have to be eliminated. She's gonna be the winner of the second Quarter Quell, the 50th Hunger Games. 

Sean thinks about what Haymitch told him before he went to Clary to tell her the same. Would Clary agree on this? Would they act like they are lovers just for sponsors? And what would happen if she refused, Haymitch could be quite intimidating. Of course Clary would refuse, it's obvious she has a crush on Jace. Even Sean could sense there was something going on between Clary and Jace although they didn't even know it themselves. 

Clary listens to Haymitch and Jace from inside her compartment. 'I'm s-s-sorry.' Haymitch stuttered. This was the first time Clary could hear fear in his voice. Jace mutters something unintelligible and Clary knuckled down. I'm weak, she thought. And Jace had seen that too, but what exactly had he seen? She was so ashamed of the fact she couldn't even defend herself. She could hear someone running away on the other side of the door. This is it Clary thought, of course Jace can't cope with Haymitch. She slowly walks to the corner of her compartment when the door handle moves down. Clary is afraid of what is coming. Haymitch had kissed her, it had been her first kiss ever. She always wanted her first kiss to be Jace's, and now she couldn't even thank him for trying to help her. The door flies open and it isn't Haymitch but Jace who comes in. He doesn't have a scratch, no wound, nothing, while Clary's eye is slowly turning blue. Jace looks around the room for Clary. Then he sees her, sitting in the corner with tears in her eyes, hurt and tormented. Hastily he walks towards her and pulls her up, close to him. He wishes he could freeze this moment, right here, right now and live in it forever.

'What just happened in the corridor?' Clary asked softly. 'It's okay Clary, everything is okay,' Jace hushes. Clary is still standing there with her arms around Jace's waist. Eventually Jace let go and looked her in the eyes. 'What happened between you and Haymitch?' Jace asked. 'What have you seen?' 'Enough to know he shouldn't touch you, Clary.' 'H-he wanted me to act like a couple with Sean, for the camera's, but I refused because... well it doesn't matter. I just don't want to, and then he hit me.' 'He shouldn't have hit you, even though he is drunk.' Jace told her. 'I'm sorry Jace' Clary whispered so soft she thought he couldn't hear it, but he couldn't. 'Sorry for what? You didn't do anything wrong Clary!' 'Isabelle should never have taken my place! I shouldn't have let it happen, now your family will lose her too! Clary says. Jace answers, 'That's not your mistake Clary, Izzy chose for it herself, she intended to volunteer anyways, even when you wouldn't have been reaped.' 'And still I'm sorry...' Clary says. 

The door flies open again, but this time Sean is in the doorway. 'Let her go!' he says. 'She's mine! Clary and I are the 'starcrossed lovers' so you shouldn't touch her!' But Jace doesn't let her go, he looks at Sean arrogantly and he strenghtens his grip on Clary. Now Sean is really getting angry. He looks around the room searching for something he can hurt Jace with. Clary sees what he's doing. She tears herself loose from Jace and stops Sean. Sean graps her wrists and wants to drag her to his compartment, but Clary doesn't want that. 'Let me go!' she shouts. But Sean doesn't do that. Now it's Jace who's searching for an object to hurt Sean with. He could use his stele but when he does that Sean knows what he is. That would be the worst that could happen. Then he sees something shine in the corner of the room. He walks towards it and then he sees what it is. Beware Sean, he thinks.

Isabelle decides on taking a shower. She walks towards the bathroom which is on the other side of the corridor. Just when she wants to open the door she sees something moving to her right. She looks over her shoulder but she doesn't see anything, so she walks on and shuts the door. When she wants to turn on the water she hears a shriek. It's Sean's voice. So that's what she saw, she thinks. One moment later she hears Jace's voice too. The shining object Jace saw in Clary's compartment was an iron hatstand which is now flying towards Sean's head. Isabelle is running towards Jace to help him when she sees Clarry sitting on the ground. Isabelle immediately notices what's going on. Sean isn't just a normal guy, he's a werewolf. He isn't allowed to change her because Clary doesn't know anything about the world hidden within the normal world. Isabelle can see Sean is very angry and she gets between Jace and Sean. 'You,' Jace pants. Sean grins and walks away. 'What was that all about?' Isabelle asks.

After Jace has explained her everything about Haymitch and Sean, Isabelle decides to sleep in Clary's compartment over the night. Isabelle tells Jace before he leaves and she promises to keep an eye on Clary. A few moments later Sean is in his bed. This wasn't what he'd planned. His wild blonde hair are still wet from the shower and he shivers beneath the blankets. He only wears a boxer, if it was up to him Clary would be next to him right now. That stupid Shadowhunter Jace can't stay away from any chick. But that Isabelle is a Shadowhunter doesn't surprise him, why else would you volunteer for a Quarter Quell? After lots of wandering thoughts Sean falls asleep.

A few compartments away from Sean's, Isabelle and Clary are together in one bed. Isabelle doesn't like this at all but she does it for her brother. 'He cares about you, you know that?' Isabelle whispers. What? Clary starts laughing, this has to be a joke. 'Why are you laughing? Isabelle asks. 'Are you serious Isabelle?' Isabelle laughs and says, 'you can call me Izzy, and yes I'm serious.' Isabelle turns around and falls asleep, but Clary is wide awake and gets out of bed. Without waking Isabelle she sneaks out and walks towards Jace's compartment. She knocks on his door but after trying three times and even whispering his name he still didn't open the door. What Clary didn't know was that he was actually awake, but Jace wasn't the only one who heard her because in no time Haymitch was in front of her, sobered. 

'I don't forget things, princess. Even when I'm drunk.' He laughed and Clary could still smell the alcohol. Even now he was sober he still wanted Clary. Jace heard a second voice, but he thought he was dreaming, so he turned around and he fell asleep again. While Clary was being carried away by Haymitch. He hit her and that night was Clary's worst night ever, and nobody came to help her. Even Jace didn't.