Chapter 2 ~ The Reaping

It's the same story every year. This year it's a little bit different because it's a Quarter Quell. After Effie has said her usual blah blah blah she walks to the reaping bowl of the girls. Clary bites her lip, while Isabelle is thinking about the volunteering. 'As usual, ladies first.' Effie puts her hand in the bowl and after about 10 second she grabs a paper. She unfolds it and reads what it says: 'Clary Fray.' Did she really just say that? Jace thinks. He looks at Alec shocked and Alec grabs his arm. Then they hear a loud, clear, familiar voice. 'I am Isabelle Lightwood and I volunteer to take Clary Fray's place in The Hunger Games.'

Clary looks at her fully amazed. Her gaze said enough and Isabelle kissed her on her forehead. 'This is fantastic! Great Isabelle Lightwood, great!' Effie says. Clary was relieved and relaxed for a bit. 

'Now for the second female tribute of District 2.' Effie puts her hand in the bowl again and grabs a paper, a little bit faster this time. She unfolds it again and... 'Oh this is great.' Effie starts laughing. 'Clary Fray! Come forward, you are our second female tribute!' Effie's smile was something to become scared of. Clary knuckles down and musters the courage to walk to the stage. She walks towards Isabelle, who just saved her. She thought she was safe, but the odds were not in her favor today.

Jace was watching it all while he was in shock. With pain in his heart and fighting against his tears. She has to know, before she died. She has to know how I feel about her, is the only thing he can think of. 

'This is something you can call a plottwist,' Alec says ghastly. He didn't even like Clary but to be happy that she was picked? No, that went too far. Next to him Jace was standing stiff with tension and at that moment Alec remembers Izzy was there as well. 

'IZZY!' 'How could you do this Iz?!' Alec shouts towards the stage. Isabelle gives him a guilty look. 'I'm sorry' is what her eyes seem to say. 'Well this is a beautiful twist,' Effie says cheerfully. She toddles toward the reaping bowl of the boys and puts in her hand. She grabs a paper and unfolds it.

'Sean Kendrick.' Somewhere between the boys sounds a cry of terror. Sean steps forward and with a bowed head he walks toward the stage. Effie smiles and says, 'And now for the second boy tribute.' Jace sees Effie's hand go inside the bowl. She takes a paper and unfolds it, 'Simon Lewis.' Jace can't believe it, his thoughts run wild. If he doesn't go into the arena with Clary she won'survive and she will never know what he feels for her. Without hesitating he shouts 'I VOLUNTEER'. Alec looks at him with disbelief. Now he has to stay in District 2 while his brother and sister are both fighting for their lives in the arena. Jace walks to the front and shakes hands with Clary, Isabelle and Sean. The tributes of District 2.