Home

It was finally time to go home. James was walking much better, though he did still need a cast and  Victoria's assistance. It had been about a month since he had come back to her and he had never been happier. James had finally found the time to tell Amy about Charlie. She had cried, but told James that she'd had a feeling when Charlie didn't come home with them. She and Jamie had now been spending a lot of time together, which James thought was good for both parties.

"I think that they'll get together." Victoria said.

"Jamie's still married, remember?" James said.

"I don't know." Victoria said. "They didn't seem very taken with each other during their relationship."

"Jamie wouldn't have married her if he didn't love her." James defended his friend. 

"Alright, whatever you say." Victoria held up her hands. "So, are you going to see which horses are being auctioned off?" 

"I think Joey is. I'd like to keep him, if possible." James said.

"Didn't you promise to return him to that boy if you could?" Victoria asked.

"Did I? I can't remember." James said.

"James..." Victoria's voice was in a warning tone.

"What?" James said innocently. Victoria shook her head, but was smiling. She was so glad that she was able to joke around with her husband like this again. "Put the lead on Bailey, we don't want him running off."

James had finally met Bailey, who was no longer a little puppy. He had barked at James at first, scaring him half to death, but then had warmed up to him as time had gone on. Bailey had almost been put up for sale at the auction today, but James had stepped in and made it known that Bailey would be going home with them and that was final.

The couple went out to the car that was waiting for them. Jamie stood by it, smiling at them. James smiled back, as did Victoria. Bailey growled.

"Thought I'd come to say goodbye." Jamie said. 

"We'll still see each other." James said.

"Then I thought I'd come to say thank you." Jamie said. "Just, thank you for staying with me the whole time. I don't think I could have made it without you."

"The same to you." James said, patting Jamie's good arm. "Thanks for making sure they didn't kill me."

"Major Stewarts, I cannot thank you enough for looking out for my husband." Victoria said, standing on her toes and kissing him on the cheek. Jamie smiled at her.

"You're very welcome, Mrs. Nichols." He said. 

"Excited to see Evelyn?" Victoria asked.

"Oh, ecstatic." Jamie said sarcastically. "I think I'll divorce her when I get home. I've discovered that I like Amy quite a bit."

"Told you." Victoria said to James.

"You were right." James sighed. He turned back to Jamie. "Send me a telegram when you've done it, will you?"

"Of course." Jamie said. "Go on. Wouldn't want to miss the show now, would you?"

"I'll see you later." James said, helping Victoria and Bailey into the car before getting in himself.

When they got to the auction, Joey was just being led in. His starting bid was four pounds. James raced to the circle. By the time he got there, Joey was already at ten.

"Eleven!" A butcher yelled. James decided to wait till the last possible second and then bid as high as possible. 

"Fifteen! And let that be an end to it!" Fry yelled a moment later. James looked over. Why was he here? James then saw Albert, the boy who he had bought Joey from. James sighed. If he won him, he would return Joey to his rightful owner, he decided.