a compliment

a compliment

Normally when it comes to shopping... Whether it it is shopping for food, clothes or books Daichi goes into the store and gets out as soon as possible... He usually walks as fast as he can, putting the desired objects into his shopping cart (or shopping basket), and uses the self checkout. He loves the self checkout because it is fast... Because it is a robot.

A robot that doesn't try to start a conversation with him... A robot that doesn't grow frustrated or disappointed by Daichi's lame responses... By his one word responses... By his responses of "yeah" or "yes" or "okay" or "fine".

A robot that allows him to focus on scanning his groceries... Buying his groceries, and exiting the store within a few minutes...

A robot that doesn't make him aware of every muscle in his face, or of the fact that he can't hold a conversation to save his life.

When Daichi found that the self checkout section was closed, due to repairs that needed to be done, he was tempted to put his groceries back in their original aisles... To turn around and run away. But the thing is, he has no food at home... Not even a can of soup, or a box of cereal.

With a heavy sigh, he goes to one of the normal check out aisles. Not so surprisingly the cashier greets him... "I like your shirt."

What?

Daichi was expecting a "hello" or "how are you" or "did you find everything you needed?" He, never in a million years expected the cashier... The cashier with grey hair, pale skin, and a beauty mark to compliment him. Before Daichi can respond, before Daichi can respond with one of his typical one word answers, the cashier... "Sugawara" according to the name tag- Says more. "The Hunger Games Trilogy is one of my favorite books series... The movies, especially the special affects are impressive... But I still prefer the books."

Books... Books are something he can talk about.

"Me too... Except that I didn't like Mockingjay that much... The ending felt really rushed," Daichi says, as he slowly realizes that is one of the few long conversations that he has had all month.

"I'm going to have to disagree with you on that," Sugawara says, and soon after scanning the last item- A volleyball magazine- he adds, "Your total is ¥2,175.30."