Chapter Three - Aubrey

The next day we were doing a lab about the human body and pulse rate. Our teacher had one person sit up on the desk and just relax. No talking aloud. Then after five minutes were up, he had the other partner record if the pulse had changed and do a few different tests and write down the results. He allowed us to choose what the tests we were going to do as long as we got the first part of the experiment accurately because we were going to combine all of our data as a class in the end.

"Do you want to have your pulse taken or do you want me to?" I asked quietly.

"You can, I have no heart remember?" I blushed a little bit, remembering that I had called him a 'heartless son of a bitch' the same day that he rescued me and walked me home.

Shay hooked the pulse reader to my arm and recorded my pulse. When five minutes went by he recorded it again. He had made a bunch of little tests already so he got started on them.

First he tried to make me laugh but, after multiple attempts, he failed and decided to move on.

He grabbed my hand, "subject's heart increases on touch." He winked at me.

"Don't write that down!" I screamed at him and tried to grab his pencil from him, but he snatched it away and cracked up laughing. My heart fluttered at the sound of his voice and nearly stopped at the sound of his laugh but, I refused to show it.

Shay pointed his pencil at me with a shake of his head, "no talking, remember?"

"Ok class that's all the time we have for this experiment today, but, we will continue tomorrow! Find a good place to stop and take your seats." Mr. Robert's voice boomed from the front of the classroom. "Now we are going to talk about something that I'm sure you're all familiar with. That something is attraction! Now let's see Mr. Shay, how do you know when a girl is interested in you?"

Shay had a startled look on his face for a split second, but he hardened it instinctively. "Well I would be able to pick out the girl's nervous ticks," Shay said simply.

"Like," Mr. Robert's prodded.

"Like how Aubrey never looks at me when I talk to her," He smiled triumphantly and continued while everyone around us picked their heads off the desks and looked at me. "Also like how Aubrey messes with her hair when she gets nervous. How everyone is looking at her expecting her to defend herself, but she is just so embarrassed that she can't speak." He looked over to me and my hands went from my hair to my lap. They were sweating and I rubbed them anxiously on my jeans.

This was the side of Shay that I was used to. He nitpicked at all of your flaws and then shared them with everyone. It was embarrassing and just rude. I couldn't comprehend how he could have two personalities that were so drastically different. One day he is walking me home from a bar and ensuring that I get home safe while the next day he is embarrassing me in front of the whole class.

Shay smiled and laid his hand on my leg. My heart fluttered, but I made a disgusted look on my face and scooted my chair away from him. Everyone in the classroom laughed and my face turned a deep red. Now it looked like we were doing some kind of flirting dance. I didn't want anything to do with him. I especially didn't want rumors to start about us being a 'thing.'

"Alright no need to embarrass Aubrey anymore, she was already asking for a new seat!" He laughed and I dodged the hurt look Shay shot at me. "Anyway, good job Mr. Shay!" The bell rang and everyone was out of the room in a second except me.

"Now you see what I mean! You just have to move me! He is exposing me in inhumane ways and I'm so sick of it! Please move me." I screamed at Mr. Roberts.