one

CALLIE

This was exactly how she expected them to react. On the ride home from school-- which Lena made her cut early, along with Brandon(who wasn't informed on why until they were out of the car-- they were silent and cold. Callie could feel anger seeping out of their pores. Every so often, Callie could see Stef's grip on the wheel get tighter and tighter, like Stef was strangling it. Lena would sigh and reach over to her wife, rubbing her arm in a reassuring manner. Brandon tried to talk to Callie, tried to ask her what was happening, and through her tears and whimpering all she could say was, "I'm sorry."

Callie couldn't lie to them anymore. But, that's not how she expected her secret-- their secret to surface. Not through some reporter. She didn't want to tell her moms in a puddle of tears and in Lena's office that she had sex with their son. Her adoptive brother.

It was the best night of Callie's life, being with Brandon. Everything was safe with him. Everything was warm, and gentle, and perfect. She didn't think that she would've given that night away the morning after, but being in that car with Brandon and their moms felt so hostile. She had decided that it should have never happened.

Her and Brandon weren't even together anymore. She's his sister. What was she thinking?

"I am so sorry!" She cried as the car pulled into their driveway. Brandon looked over to her and began to open his mouth, but the only thing that was able to come out was 'wha-,' because Stef had gotten out and slammed the car door. She waited outside Brandon's door.

"Come on, kids." Lena spoke, getting out of the car in a more... Polite manner. She ran to her wife's side and made attempts to drag Stef inside. "She should tell him, Stef."

"It takes two to tango."

Brandon turned his head to Callie. He was confused, Callie could tell. She apologized again, and when she did he finally connected the dots. "Oh, fuck." He whispered, banging his head onto the back of the driver's seat. "How? Did you tell them?"

Lena managed to get Stef away from the car and inside of the house. Callie unbuckled her seatbelt and turned her entire body to face Brandon.

"A reporter came up to me at school and asked if it was true if I had... sex with you. Stef was talking about suing her and I couldn't let that happen, Brandon."

Brandon threw his head back and took a deep breath, "Yeah. I know." He groaned and, in a whisper, said, "This is going to be a disaster."

He unbuckled his seat belt and hopped out of the car, and waited for Callie to do the same. She followed, trailing behind the boy as they walked into the home. She was tempted to grab Brandon's hand, that's what used to calm her down, but they weren't together. Callie had to be strong, she had to be her own hero.

Stef was pacing in the kitchen. Lena had her arms crossed and was leaning against the refrigerator. "I can't believe this," Callie heard her say as they walked through the hall.

Stef was about to reply when she spotted her two children in the entryway. Her face was red and it looked like she was about to blow. "How could you two be so stupid-"

"Stef, calm down." Lena interrupted.

"This isn't a calm situation, Lena." Stef yelled. "When did this happen?"

Brandon looked to Callie then spoke, "Idyllwild."