Walk You Do

"Wanna race?" I turned my head to glance back, cocking my head and smirking. Behind me stood a black tobiano Paint horse, decked out in black leather with star studs covering it. Lucky if she measured 15 hands. Riding him was a dark, long haired cowboy wearing a camo Realtree cap and tight wranglers. I pricked a brow and sighed. "Well? Is that a yes or no, cowgirl?" I reached down to fix my stirrup, still watching him. I moved my stare down on my horse, a big built, tank like, solid black Paint with a wide blaze and bright blue eyes. 16 hands even at the top of his withers. I pulled back lightly on the curb bit, he tossed his head and backed quickly, prancing in place next to the cowboy. "My little mare here will out run your horse easy." He prodded at my competitive side, smirking up at me. I sighed. "Does she run barrels?" He moved his cap around and fixed his seat in the saddle. "Yup. Why?" I smiled, pushing my horse closer to his. "That's where our race will be. The quickest time wins. No re-tries." I heeled Nightmare into a slow lope and headed off before he had the chance to say anything else. Slowing him to a walk, we made laps around the arena as calf roping, steer wrestling, and western pleasure was going on. They called for the barrel racers and we made our way slowly back closer to the arena, watching as cowgirls and cowboys both ran the cloverleaf pattern as people in the stands cheered them on. They called for Mark Jones, and I watched as the familiar cowboy headed into the arena at a gallop. The little mare was a good barrel horse, automatic at the gate and getting low around the barrel. Turning the final barrel, he kicked into her hard and she launched out, barreling toward the gate. "16.7 seconds for Mark Jones everybody! 16.7 seconds! That puts him in the lead for barrel racing tonight! Only one more competitor to go." I leaned forward in the saddle and rubbed on Nightmare's cheek. "Don't let me down boy. This is a new place with new people, they don't know you or me. Let's do this." He snorted, arching his neck and prancing down toward the gate. "Alexis Gentry to the arena please! Alexis Gentry." I trotted him to the gate, pulling him back hard as he started to blow up. His nostrils flared out, the whites of his eyes showing, he reared up lightly, pawing into the air and then into the earth as he landed. He was shivering with excitement. The gate swung open, and he launched forward like a bat out of hell. He tore into the arena sand, turning the first barrel and launching out for the second. All I did was hold on. Coming up the final barrel, he turned it within just centimeters of hitting it, then launched out from the barrel and tore down the arena. "15.1 seconds for Alexis Gentry. 15.1 seconds! Way to go Alexis!" I turned him and finally got him to slow down, tossing his head and bouncing until he finally came to a complete stop. Mark walked his little mare toward me, stopping her a few feet infront of Nightmare. "Well, that was a good run." I smiled, patting Nightmare's neck and holding onto the pommel of the saddle as I leaned forward to stand up and reposition my seat. "I know. Thanks. You got a good lil mare there too."