6. coffee and lies

Monica,

Don't be silly. I'm right here, and I'm not going anywhere. You don't need to worry, MOM. I'll keep my grades up. Besides, who do I have to distract me now? Jack Thomas?

If things are starting to fade, I'll start sending you memories, the good and the bad, so you don't forget.

Remember the Valentine's Day last year, when an anonymous admirer sent you a rose, and we went full on secret agent to find out who it was?

I'm laughing so hard right now. You had no idea it was me.

Love Chlo

Just like that, my whole plan began to crumble beneath me like a castle made of cards exposed to a wild wind.

"I have to say, it surprised me," William continued. I'd been unable to form any kind of defense or denial. My muscles were tensed, and my breathing came fast. "But it makes sense. You want revenge for Monica Pennington."

"You don't need to bother yourself with worrying about what I want," I said quietly, in a hopeless bid to throw him off of my trail.

He took a step closer, observing me like a tourist at the zoo. His eyes were menacingly fascinating, locking with mine in a way that made my knees tremble in fear. The tables between us had taken a dramatic turn. He was now the predator, and I was now the prey.

"Let me get this straight. You want to destroy us," he said. "Because of Monica."

I leveled my face so I was looking upwards, my chin lifted. He may have worked out more than he should have been able to, but that didn't mean I could let myself be destroyed. "You don't know what you're talking about, Bishop."

"Maybe I don't." He shrugged, his eyes following me darkly. "But I can put the pieces together."

I tightened my jaw. "Think what you want. If you don't want the world to know that your family's company is built on fraud, then you'll keep your mouth shut. We're even."

William raised a brow cockily. "You think I'd just let this go?"

"You'd have no choice."

His eyes narrowed, a smile finally breaking its way onto his face, causing an electrifying jolt to make its way through my chest. He was adoringly handsome, and I could tell he believed it gave him some kind of leverage. But not with me.

"Who said I wasn't going to cooperate with your first deal?"

"What?" I said automatically. I reprimanded myself internally, I couldn't let myself seem desperate. But why would he still play along with this plan if he knew?