21. secrets and lacrosse sticks

Mon,

This is the last letter before I pack my bags and hunt you down. Reply to me, or you'll regret it. Yes, that is a threat from yours truly.

I miss you,

Chlo.

William and I locked eyes, now caught in a stare off, seeing who would falter first

William and I locked eyes, now caught in a stare off, seeing who would falter first. If it wasn't for the crowd of people slowly gathering around us, I was sure I wouldn't hesitate to show him exactly how annoyed I was.

But, I couldn't do that with an audience.

The whispers of girls beside me caught my attention as time seemed to slow around out little spectacle. Oh but he's so handsome, I heard, if I were her, I'd be falling into his arms right now!

I knew I didn't really have an option. Not with Monica at the forefront of my mind.

Spreading the most love struck smile over my face, I took another step towards William's outstretched arm were the bouquet sat in all of its over-the-top blossoming glory.

I took it from him. It was heavier than it looked, and I cradled it awkwardly in my arm without meeting his gaze again. The deep green leaves framing the fragrant blooms almost matched his eyes perfectly.

My other hand wrapped around William's, but not in a particularly affectionate way. Instead, I yanked him away from outside of the classroom which I was supposed to be entering and around the corner, finding the first empty corridor before I let the scowl settle over my face.

"You didn't answer any of my messages yesterday," he stated. He didn't look particularly angry. Instead, his brows were set in an almost curious expression. He was trying to assess me.

I let my gaze find the nearby window, the perfectly pruned lawn of one of Arlington's courtyards filling my view. "No. I didn't feel like talking to you."

"Look, Chlo," he said, using Monica's nickname which he must have realized was so good at softening me. It wouldn't today. "It's no excuse but I had drunk a lot, and it was an in-the-moment thing. It wasn't just because she was there, it just felt like the right thing to do, with everyone around and... I don't know. There's not any excuse. It was awful, and unfair, and you didn't deserve that."

"It was unfair," I said, crossing my arms over my chest, which proved awkward with the flowers in one hand. I looked at them, the blood red forest of petals and thorns. "So was giving me these."

"Oh, they weren't completely for you. More for the show, but if they help you forgive me too, that's just a bonus."

"Flowers aren't going to win me over, William," I said, the words leaving my lips in a sigh. Maybe undoing Lola's growing hate for me would.