Chapter eighteen: Open the box

In the aftermath, I was granted permission from Commander Grayson to fly me off to Sonata village. Good thing my pants weren't completely burned, just the half of my lower legs. I still couldn't get over what had happened to Iris valley. It looked as if a meteor crash-landed, burning the green grass and pushed the trees away. But as long as the villagers were safe and have enough supplies, they're good. Not this time you three-headed devil.

We landed at the entrance of the village before I hop out. "Thanks." I waved them goodbye as I entered. Commander Grayson nodded and took off with Eclypto back to the sky. Sonata village was safe and secured. I didn't even care if I'm dirty or not. We didn't have many cleaning supplies anyway. The Flash warriors and villagers looked at me as I walked across the street. Must've been my half-burned pants. The village looked like Snowfall, but without snow and a bit narrower. I guessed that some Flash warriors lived here.

I wandered on an alleyway and to a bridge that reached the other side of the village. In a house filled with boxes in the front yard, an old lady wearing a tie-dye dress sat outside gazing at the recovering sky. It was Sam's grandmother.

"Grandma Pearl," I called. She was the sassiest senior citizen I had ever met in Snowfall village, I even wondered where Sam's attitude came from. Her brown eyes behind those big eyeglasses of hers slowly looked down on me. "Xabiere? Oh, lovely to see you again! Come in, Come in." She gestured to me as if she wanted a hug. "I heard you became one of them. Sam even though that you're an alien. How silly was that? Hahaha . . . are you?"

Despite my hesitation, I pushed myself to speak. "Grandma Pearl, is Sam in there? If he is-"

"Of course, he's in, dear." Grandma Pearl turned her head to an open door. "SAM!!!" Her sweet, gentle voice suddenly changed into an irritating granny's voice.

"What?!" A familiar voice boomed inside the opened door.

"THERE'S SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO SEE YOU!!!"

"What . . . ?!"

"JUST GET OUT HERE!! IT'S ELÍSE'S BOY." A stumble from the room startled me. Sam appeared with filthy goggles and a handkerchief on his face. A bright (And dirty) smile came to his face as he moved his handkerchief down. "Xabe!"

With a painful friendship hug from him, I winced. "It's good to see you again, too."

I patted his back. I once again could breathe as he released me. He then gasped, "Oh my pancakes, you're all right. Except your . . . ."

"I know."

"Do you wanna . . . um . . . you know . . . ." Sam made a swiping gesture to his entire body. "Oh . . . yeah. Thanks, I'll just clean in here." After I went inside to clean myself up and get myself a pair of shorts, I wore a clean white shirt and asked Sam where my family was until I heard another voice. "Xabe?" Chloriette is just standing there, holding a basket for some reason. "Xabe?" Sam's big eyes turned their attention on me.

"Chloriette?" I said.

"Chlor-what now?" Sam, again, asked. I went closer to her. We gazed at each other's eyes. She's okay, she's in one piece. Thank the heavens.

The abrupt embrace from her startled me back to reality. "I thought something wrong happened to you," she murmured.

"But, I'm still here," I said. Just as quickly as she hugged me, she let me go. She started feeling awkward. I guess her friendliness can sometimes be shown to anyone and anywhere. "Wha- what did you do? Are the people in the Iris valley safe?"

"They're all safe. Well . . . except their home went black. If you know what I mean," I acknowledged.

"What about the Devastrigon?" She whispered so no one can hear us.