Dave (a.k.a Mr. Harper)

*The next week*

I haven't talked to Earl in a while. How can I? Every time I see him, that image pops up in my head again. And I don't like that image.

I'm not sure why it bothered me so much. Maybe it's the fact that I caught my best friend kissing a guy I had come to hate. Maybe it's the fact that that guy was the one dating Emilia and therefore ruining my chances to be with her. Or it could even be the feeling that that wasn't the first time they'd done something like that.

"Mr. Evans? Mr. Evans."

I snapped out of my thoughts.

"Huh?"

Standing in front of me was the infamous "Dave". His name should be Mr. Harper, but he insists everyone call him Dave. And he was now frowning, concern dripping from his contorted features.

"Are you alright Jack?"

I nodded. "I'm fine Mr. Harper."

His frown deepened. Because although he insisted everyone call him Dave, I insisted on calling him Mr. Harper.

"Stay after class. I'd like to have a word with you." A series of ooh's from the immature group of adolescents in the corner. And a scolding from Mr. Harper to them for "acting like children".

And twenty-three minutes later, I was the only student left standing in Mr. Harper's classroom as he put away his things.

He walked around and sat on the front edge of his desk. "What's on your mind, Jack?"

I shrugged. "Nothing, really."

He frowned. I'm beginning to think it's a reflex.

"I asked you if you knew the answer to number five. One of the kids next to you pushed your shoulder when you didn't respond. He thought you died with your eyes open."

I nodded, knowing very well which kid he meant.

"To top that off, I called your name about four times before you finally answered." He crossed his arms over his chest and put one long leg over the other. "That's not nothing, if you ask me."

I sighed and rubbed my face.

"I'm sorry Mr. Harper-"

"Dave."

"I just... I don't know."

How could I tell him I saw Earl, my best friend, kissing the school's star running back?

I can't. But my mouth didn't know that.

"I saw my best friend kissing someone I really ha-don't like." I blurted.

He nodded. And then frowned. Again. "Isn't Earl homosexual?"

I nodded.

He nodded.

"Have you talked to him about it?"

I shook my head.

He nodded.

"I'm kind of scared to know the truth."

He nodded. Again. "Why?"

I shrugged. "I'm not sure. I just am."

"Maybe you should try talking to him about it. At least it'll give you closure."

I nodded. Very slowly. "I guess."

He just smiled. "See? Problem solved, yeah?"

"Yeah. Thanks Mr. Harper-"

"Dave."