1. 

It probably didn't help that the first time she saw him she fell for him. Literally. Emily was minding her own business, trying to get her table's orders in time before there were any complaints. Vernon was standing around, waiting to be seated in the crowded diner. He tried to convince someone to come along with him so that he wouldn't be so alone but all of his friends had plans. Vernon whipped out his phone to check the time and trying to decide if it was worth the wait. Emily tried to rush past the people waiting and all of a sudden the tray of drinks was moving slightly when someone's phone nudged her hand.

"Hey! Watch it!" She snapped quickly. She readjusted her tray to prevent any spills.

"Sorry!" She looked up to see who was talking and her eyes widened. Oh no, he's cute. Before she could say a word, her foot caught on her untied shoelace and she stumbled. Vernon quickly put his hands under her tray to steady it before the drinks spilled everywhere.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to snap at you earlier either, I just needed to get these drinks to that table if I want a good tip and I really need that, you know how it is as a waitress..." Emily stammered and rambled on. He probably thinks I'm insane. But she couldn't stop. While she rambled on, Vernon watched her with a smile on his face. Something about the fast talking waitress intrigued him. "I'm talking too much aren't I?" Emily said with a laugh. I could listen to you talk for as long as you want. Vernon thought to himself.

"It's fine." He said with a light laugh. "I guess you were too busy falling for me to notice, huh?" Emily's eyes widened again. Vernon bit the inside of his cheek. Why did I say that? You just met her. That's creepy.

"Well, I've got to finish my shift. I guess I'll see you later?"

"Yeah, yeah..."

"Thanks for the help with the tray!" Emily rushed off to serve the drinks before her table got too upset with her. Vernon felt his face heat up in embarrassment. He ordered his meal to-go.