Chapter 3

It feels like it's been forever. We continue our deadly dance. They strike. I dodge. I lost count after 12 or so of their attempts, but it has to have been at least 50 tries by now. Despite everything, however, I still can't muster the will to give this battle my all. I keep trying to give myself the strength to. They killed papyrus. They killed Undyne. But I was still incapable of caring. I guess it's just habit...

I became lost in thought. Rambling random words that I wasn't even thinking about. And then I decided to finally use a decent attack. And as I continued on... I came to the terrifying realization that I had become far too predictable. I decided to regain some energy... And then they struck. It hurt a lot more than I ever would have imagined. The blade met bone and my blood was everywhere. I look down at my blood stained hands... Then as I walk past, I see him. Papyrus... Desperately, I reach out to him...

"Papyrus... Do you want anything...?"

~~~

It's impossible. That was NOT a dream... And yet here I am. Looking up at the ceiling, hearing my younger brother humming while making breakfast. How was this even possible? Every time I dreamt, I never felt anything, but this? This was too real. This was no dream.

"BROTHER, SPAGHETTI IS READY!" Calls papyrus.

"B-be down in a sec, bro!" I say back. I really needed some time to wrap my head around what happened. After a few minutes, I manage to drag myself out of bed and I put on my clothes. Then, magic still a tad tired from my "dream", I decide to walk down the stairs instead of teleporting. I trip. Papyrus stares, wide eyed.

"S-sans?!" He rushes over.

"I-I'm fine, bro!" I get up.

".... Are you sure?" He asks, worry plain on his expression.

"y-yeah." That was a lie. I was far from fine. My mind was in a train wreck... But then I realized. Papyrus was alive! That was all that truly mattered at this point. As long as he was alive...

"Sans? Do you want me to escort you to your post today?" He asks.

"Naw, I'll be fine." I say. I can't risk having the human kill him again...

"... Alright. Well I'll check in with you later. You'd better be working!!"

"I will." I laugh. Yes... Everything will be fine.